cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending SMS messages

JimL
Not applicable

Sending SMS messages

I wish to send SMS messages from a burglar alarm and a cordless phone (via the plusnet pstn).
The (scantronic) burglar alarm has two options
'protocol' with options tap 8n1 or tap 7e1
'service centre number'
The (panasonic) phone has
'message ctr 1'  1470pp17094009
'message ctr 2' 0800587529
I cannot find any information on plusnet (other than in their terms of service) in whether sending sms messages is possible and how to set it up.
Any ideas ?
Thx
6 REPLIES 6
The_10th
Grafter

Re: Sending SMS messages

I did ask about SMS not too long ago and it is possible to send/receive. 10p to send an SMS.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102472.msg872776.html#msg872776
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I use a Siemens Gigaset phone to send & receive SMS messages using Plusnet's Home Phone service. The default settings have always worked since buying the phone. It uses the 'Service Centre 1' settings which are set to Centre No 1470P17094009.
You need to send a SMS message from the phone to set the service up. Once sent you will be able to send and receive text messages on your landline.
Hope this helps.
iarsnoo
Grafter

Like "acr", I'm using a Siemens Gigaset (C475). I have no problem sending text messages. However I cannot receive them as text. I can receive them as voice if I set the BT "SMS to Voice Service" to setting no 1. If I set it to setting no 5 (off, as suggested in the thread referenced above by "The 10th") I don't receive any messages at all. I have Caller Display enabled, and my Service Centre number is the same as that quoted by "acr", with an asterisk at the end. I don't have any personal mailboxes set up.
As far as I can see I've done everything stipulated in the Siemens manual, except that I haven't registered with my service provider to send and receive SMS. I'm wondering if this could be the problem.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just to add to my previous post. I am using the Siemens Gigaset C595 phone, Caller Display is enabled, the BT Text options Line is set to 'Off" (setting no 5) and the centre number does have an asterisk at the end.
SMS text messaging was first set up when I was with BT but upon transfer to Plusnet the service stopped. To restart the service I sent a SMS text message and could then send and receive again. From what I understand it is the sending of the initial SMS text message that registers your ability to send & receive SMS text messages with the service provider.
iarsnoo
Grafter

Thanks for that. I can't see any difference between your settings and mine. I've also sent quite a few text messages successfully, so I should have triggered the registration. Unless anyone else can suggest a solution, I'll raise a ticket with Plusnet.
iarsnoo
Grafter

I've now found the solution to my problem, which was not being able to receive text messages (as text) on my landline phone. I had to register with BT. That meant sending a text message containing the one word "Register" (without the quotes) to 00000. I got an immediate text reply from BT, confirming that I had been "Reset OK". Everything works fine now, and I'm recording details here in case they might be of help to someone else.