Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers

FIXED
ming
Grafter

Scammers

In the last fortnight we've had numerous scammers phoning us. They know my name, so it must be a website I have used and input my details that they've got hold of. We're both pensioners and both ill, and the phone going off at all hours does give you a fright. Is there anything Plusnet can do about this, like give us another number?

21 REPLIES 21
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Scammers

Do you have Plusnet Call Protect? I find it seems to help cut down these calls.

CharlieBV
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

Buy a BT phone that has a nuisance call blocker built in. The 8600 is recommended. I have had the earlier 8500 model for about 4 years and over that time not one scam call has got through.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ming
Grafter

I can't find out where to get it

ming
Grafter

deleted, duplicated post

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I see that the 8600 is being superseded but a few are still around. Single phones are quite cheap from the BT shop. The 4600 has the same type of trucall  blocker. See. https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt4600-premium-nuisance-call-blocker---twin-084666-BY4J.html?refs=5...

You can also buy them from Amazon, high street shops etc. Remember that Black Friday is coming up so bargains could be around next week.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @ming,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing nuisance calls.

As mentioned, it would definitely be worth adding Plusnet Call Protect to your line. This is a free call feature that filters out nuisance calls. You can find further information about this here. You can add this to your line via the member centre here.

The call blocker phone handsets that @Baldrick1 has suggested can also be very helpful in minimising the number of nuisance calls.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
ming
Grafter

Thanks Emily -  it says Call Protect is awaiting activation, but it said that when I first logged in the other day, so I don't know how long I've been waiting for it. Will cross fingers and see if they add it. TY!

CharlieBV
Grafter
Fixes: 2

It takes 24 hours to be activated, I believe. Wink

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @ming,

I have checked the progression of the order and it appears to have been rejected. I'm afraid the exchange type you are connected to is UXD5 (A small rural telephone exchange which can only serve a maximum of 600 customers.) which does not support call protect.

I would recommend looking at a compatible call feature to prevent anonymous calls and you can see our how to stop nuisance calls guide here.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
ming
Grafter

Ah ok thanks x

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@ming

It might also be useful to have a look at handsets that have the feature built in. BT have a version called Call Guardian, although other variations are available. I'm not sure how successful the individual branded blocking services are but If you search for a product you'll normally be looking for a little call block symbol, the BT branded Call Guardian has some really positive reviews and feedback. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Ah, just seen @Baldrick1 has already recommended my suggestion! 

ming
Grafter

The problem with this is that these callers are using different numbers all the time, just ordinary numbers in England. So I'm having to asnwer them just in case it's a legitimate call. I'd have to keep adding numbers to the blocked list and they would just keep using new ones. If it keeps up then I think I'll just ask Plusnet to change our number - and in future keep it for friends and family only.