cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam phone calls

MymsMan
Dabbler

Re: Scam phone calls

It is my understanding that both the paid for 'Anonymous Call Reject' service and free 'Call protect' can reject Withheld calls where the originating number known but hidden but neither service will block Unknown numbers where he originating number is not known for some reason.

Is that correct?

In which case why is ACR sill offered?  is Call Protect available to all PN customers or are some exchanges still lacking the equipment?  Does ACR offer any additional benefits over Call Protect?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

It is my understanding that both the paid for 'Anonymous Call Reject' service and free 'Call protect' can reject Withheld calls where the originating number known but hidden but neither service will block Unknown numbers where he originating number is not known for some reason.

Is that correct?

Yep.

In which case why is ACR sill offered?

To be honest I've personally not added it to an account in about a year. Anonymous Call Reject was introduced long before Call Protect and is somewhat no longer needed as you know Call Protect is free of charge.

is Call Protect available to all PN customers or are some exchanges still lacking the equipment?

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's still not compatible with a small number of exchanges called "UXD5" exchanges. In addition, these exchanges serve a maximum of 600 people and are usually found in remote parts of Wales and Scotland.

We can check to see if your exchange one of these before placing the order, but if we don't and place the order at one of those exchanges the order will ultimately reject with a message along the lines of "Incompatible exchange".

Does ACR offer any additional benefits over Call Protect?

No, it just blocks withheld numbers though it may struggle with internationally withheld numbers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hangar18
Grafter
Fixes: 1

You don't have to pay your provider to block withheld numbers this is provided free of charge as part of the  free Call protect service and the system is clever enough to be able to block.or allow different withheld numbers.

Hi @MymsMan

Does Plusnet Home Phone Call Protect have a control Panel like the one BT provide for their customers? I've searched and can't seem to find one.. If not, how do you turn on block withheld  numbers?

Thanks.

MymsMan
Dabbler

Hi @MymsMan

Does Plusnet Home Phone Call Protect have a control Panel like the one BT provide for their customers? I've searched and can't seem to find one.. If not, how do you turn on block withheld  numbers?

Thanks.

Unfortunately. AFAIK. there is no webif to Call Protect instead you have to dial 1572 and then select 1 to Divert the last answered call.  Option 4 for the other settings which includes diverting All withheld numbers.

This is sort of explained under call features https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/ but instead of a well laid out and comprehensive web page for each call feature they have instead attempted to provide instructions for every feature under the sun on a single humongous web page.   PN should be ashamed of that page - it really is one of the worst pages I have seen in a long ime

hangar18
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the help.Smiley

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf wrote:

Is that correct?

Yep.

Are you certain of this? The last time I checked there were options to block both witheld numbers and unrecognised numbers

My other car isn't a Ferrari
MymsMan
Dabbler

@maranello wrote:

@Gandalf wrote:

Is that correct?

Yep.

Are you certain of this? The last time I checked there were options to block both withheld numbers and unrecognised numbers

Yes there are both options in the Call Protect menu:-

I have turned the unrecognised number option on but I am still getting calls from 'Unknown' numbers,

I am not sure exactly what the Unrecognised option covers, I guess it covers invalid CLID such 0123456789

Unfortunately the window scrappage people appear to be using a different, apparently valid CLID, for each call so it is becoming pointless to add them to the divert list.