Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call - charged to me !!!

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Scam call - charged to me !!!

Just got my monthly email from PlusNet telling me they were deducting x number of £'s for my broadband and phone.  The phone bill was VERY high, much higher than usual.  I've spoken to PlusNet and amended my phone package to add some mobile minutes which should help.

However a call was supposedly made from my number to 09115628452 which is apparently well known as being associated with Windows computer scams.  The CS member at Plusnet says they cannot do anything about it but I'm pretty sure the call was not made from here.  Both my wife and myself are elderly and the call was supposedly made before 8am... A quick Google reveals I'm not the only one.  So how do I stop this?  PN did a quick check of my line and it didn't highlight any problems.  They did mention the possibility of crossed lines which only an Engineer visit could confirm - or otherwise.  If nothing was found I'd be charged.  So the lesser of 2 evils is to take the hit for the scam call.

Seems I just have to grin and bear it - well not exactly grin - I'm fuming...!

12 REPLIES 12
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Scam call - charged to me !!!

Understandably you are fuming!

It is disappointing to hear that only an engineer visit could detect a crossed line.  This is simply not true.  Dialling 17070 will confirm that you are connected to the right number and dialling your home number from a mobile will ensure the circuit is correctly routed to yourself.

After that there is some possibility of your line touching another line, which would require an engineer visit, but I would expect that to show as a fault on a line test.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear there's a call on your itemised bill you don't recognise and you're charged a lot of money for it.

Line tests aren't finding any obvious crossed line issues, but as @Townman's advised I'd dial 17070 as this is another check for a crossed line.

Ideally we'd also be hesitant to book an engineer visit because we don't want the appointment to become chargeable.

Do you have any equipment like an alarm system plugged using your broadband connection which may be dialling the number automatically?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks guys for your inputs.

I called 17070 and my number is correctly identified.  I also called my number from a mobile and it rings as it should.

The rogue call details are as follows:-

Date of call Number called Time of call Duration   Cost
  12/06/2018 09115628452 07:47:18 00:28:03   £30.55

PlusNet CS tell me it was a Windows scam call.  However doing a bit of Googling earlier on it appeared that it might be some sort of game site based in the Netherlands.  In any event I really can't believe the call originated here.

Oh and I don't have any alarm equipment or indeed anything else connected to the line other than my phone, two cordless extensions, a BT modem and a PN Router..

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems. At this point if you're sure the problem can't be anything your side the next step would be to book an engineer visit. Let us know if you'd like us to arrange this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks for that.

I'm loth to arrange for an Engineer to call - and finish off paying out even more...  It seems that lots of others have had this problem and nothing to suggest there's a problem with their phone:-

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/09115628452

I have asked Plusnet to include the CallProtect as part of my package.  I'm hoping that I will be able to add scam numbers but that of course is only for incoming calls.  It would be handy if it was possible to block all outgoing premium numbers.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Plusnet landline services are provided over BTOR POTS services which does offer outbound call barring - see http://bt.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/5031824/1497956651/redirect/1/filename/Calling+features+User+g...

I do not know if Plusnet can arrange this as standard or special arrangement.

Personally I use a Panasonic DECT phone system which allows me to inhibit outbound calls - however that is no mitigation against a touching line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Townman - thanks again for your input.

PlusNet CS did mention the possibility of a touching line but also mentioned if there HAD been a problem with my line when the rogue call was made that there was no guarantee the Engineer would find a fault now as it may have cleared itself.  

You may have noticed from the link I posted earlier that there were many instances where customers had been charged for calls they had not made so my concern would be that this could happen again.  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is well past due for Ofcom to do the right thing and shut down all 09 numbers.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@PNnewbie wrote:

They did mention the possibility of crossed lines which only an Engineer visit could confirm - or otherwise.  If nothing was found I'd be charged.  So the lesser of 2 evils is to take the hit for the scam call.

This is in a different league to the occasional 'rogue' calls to the speaking clock we hear about - £30·55 is a serious sum to lose through no fault of your own.

We know, of course, that should an engineer attend, that 'No fault found' is not the same as 'No fault exists/existed'.

@Gandalf  In this kind of case, can you confirm that, if an engineer visit was arranged, and no fault was found, then the customer is charged?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
grahamlumb

Me too, over £30 for a call I didn't make 09115628452 Come on Plusnet, block it.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

In Reply#10 on 11/07/18

@198kHz wrote:

We know, of course, that should an engineer attend, that 'No fault found' is not the same as 'No fault exists/existed'.

@Gandalf  In this kind of case, can you confirm that, if an engineer visit was arranged, and no fault was found, then the customer is charged?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi all, 

@198kHz - this is verging on "each situation is assessed on it's own merit" territory if I am honest, and I'm afraid I couldn't provide an answer with a 100% guarantee, as much as i'd like to. I've had this conversation myself with colleagues and each time there are different "ifs, buts and maybe's" thrown into the discussion. We are informed if the visit is chargeable by our supplier, it is not within our remit to decide if this is the case or no - however, we do have the ability to waive this charge if it is deemed to be inappropriate. 

@grahamlumb - i'm really sorry to hear that you have also experienced this issue. I have checked our the raw call data and it also appears on there, showing it is not just an internal billing error. Can you confirm if you have tried the steps advised to OP on this thread whilst I have a bit of a chat with some people here and see what we can do? I can say for now that, afaiaa, we are unable to put a blanket block on a certain number which would block it being called by all of our customer / through "our" lines, sorry about that.

Thanks, 

MoR