cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS text messaging NOT WORKING - Support help please

Michaelsobanja
Dabbler

SMS text messaging NOT WORKING - Support help please

I know others have posted on this before and I have reviewed the threads without problem resolution. I have called assistance at PlusNet who were unable to help, indeed, as others have found before, had never heard of the service, nor had the supervisor and advised me to post here for back office staff to pick up.
I have recently purchased a BT8500 phone set. this is SMS enabled for text. set up and installed, and registered on BT SMS text messaging service without a problem. Can send written texts fine. when sending a text incoming, it is picked up by the BT system and converted to voice readout - I want it as a written text on my BT8500 phone. the BT sms text messaging system tells me this is happening because caller display is not enabled. It is. all other calls are identified by caller display.
I have tried the various solutions others mentioned.
any ideas please or help from PLUSNET back office staff?
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Aled
Dabbler

Re: SMS text messaging NOT WORKING - Support help please

Hi Mike,
I don't have an answer for this as such, but I've tried pretty hard to fix this for people in the past.
It's pretty difficult for us to fix these problems as it doesn't seem to be a supported product for Openreach. Have you moved onto Fibre recently by any chance? From experience, I think that there's something to do with the technology that stops the texts from coming through as texts - as mad as that sounds. I've never been able to fix one anyway!
Glad to make some suggestions otherwise,
Aled
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm on FTTC and I'm pretty sure my land line text delivery works OK.  (I can't be 100% sure as we don't receive many text messages via the land line but I do know it has worked alongside the FTTC service).
There is something about setting 'curfew' times on the BT SMS service, I can't remember the details at the moment, sorry but there have been posts on this previously.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Michaelsobanja
Dabbler

Hi Aled - Yes I'm on FTTC and have been since we moved here. bit confused as to why it works for some and not others. it isn't a critical issue but inconvenient for those with hearing problems. any suggestions welcome
Mike
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The BT SMS system is described here:
http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/413v3p1.pdf
Do you register an incoming call as the system attempts to deliver the message as a text to the phone?
Michaelsobanja
Dabbler

the text comes in as a voice message from the BT text to voicemail service
M
Michaelsobanja
Dabbler

It now works. sent another text to register to 00000. turned off text to voice by ringing the 080058752525 and selecting the appropriate action. sent a text to my mobile and responded. came in as text . 
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Glad to hear this was sorted.
Thanks for updating us.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
XVF
Dabbler

Know it's an old(ish) thread, but just wanted to say that this solution worked for me too, and is worth trying for anyone else having problems.
Thanks for posting BM.