cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route of phone line from house to the exchange?

billymaynay
Dabbler

Route of phone line from house to the exchange?

Is there a website that will show the route of the phone line from my house to the local exchange?  Once had an Openreach engineer who was going to go to a green cabinet in totally the wrong direction. I pointed him in the right direction  Wink
8 REPLIES 8
kuga
Grafter

Re: Route of phone line from house to the exchange?

moob
Grafter

Couldn't get info from above link here...
Anyhoo, I got an interesting fact from an engineer the other day. I have fibre, and my distance to cabinet is 200m as crow flies - found out that the reality is, my copper is 1200m - 6X!
Hence I only get 15Mbps!
steveuk
Grafter

If you are on ADSL you could try this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Type in your Downstream Attenuation and click caculate and it will give you a rough idea on how long your line is.
When i was on o2 my Downstream Attenuation was 23.3 and the site says my line is roughly 1.7km long.
The stats it shows for speed are pretty accurate for my 23.3 Attenuation on ADSL2+
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's nothing to show the route as these aren't (to my knowledge) known en masse. I expect such a project would require BTOR to go out with GPS and map all the locations of every cab, DP and anywhere that the line changes direction on a pole, before then going out and figuring out which line follows which route (which may not be possible without cutting into the line). This would be an extremely arduous undertaking with minimal benefit to BTOR.
moob
Grafter

BTOR have these details on file which they access via laptop.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

AFAIK the routing tables just show start point (EX) -> DP -> end point (your premises). There's no details of the actual route taken between these points.
reader
Dabbler

I think Jaggies is correct. I was once told I was 1.6 km from the exchange which is probably correct as the crow flies but the cable route is certainly longer than that irrespective of what route it takes to get here or to the cabinet
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, Jaggies is right - they know which DP / cab your line goes to and the rough location of each, but nothing more than that.