cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reused phone number?

gnicholson8
Grafter

Reused phone number?

Just curious as to if I can find out if PN have reused my phone number from previous.
Basically I've had the line less than a week, given it to no one or used it on nothing (I use my mobile as a contact number for most things) and I've already getting automated calls coming through.
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Reused phone number?

Most, if not all, numbers will be recycled ones these days though I believe there should be a delay before they are reissued (by BT in this case). However the international call machines probably try numbers in sequence until one rings, their infernal machines have lots of stamina.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't make a living by discovering live numbers and selling lists to the marketers.
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: gnicholson8
Just curious as to if I can find out if PN have reused my phone number from previous.
Basically I've had the line less than a week, given it to no one or used it on nothing (I use my mobile as a contact number for most things) and I've already getting automated calls coming through.

Have you Googled your number  ?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: spraxyt
I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't make a living by discovering live numbers and selling lists to the marketers.

I would be surprised.  Wink
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
suecat1

I had to request a new number as well because of fraudulent calls and now keep getting calls from loads of companies asking for the previous owner of my new number.  Drives me mad!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

All numbers are recycled, afaik. Business lines should not be re-issued for 12 months, residential lines can be re-issued immediately, but only on the same line. (e.g. a start-of-stopped-line order). Re-issuing a residential number to a different line is also possible but there is a time delay for this happening.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Cheers, Tbh I had a reused number with Sky and my new line is seldom as bad as the Sky one was (they've actually stopped now and no calls in the last 2 days) but with my Sky line I would get 2-3 calls looking for the previous person who owned the line.
If it does crop up again, is there anything that can be done (excluding requesting a new number)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can follow our nuisance calls process which gives you options such as barring witheld numbers or specific numbers. Other than that, a renumber's the last (chargeable) option.