cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve number lost by Virgin

Emmal
Hooked

Retrieve number lost by Virgin

We’ve moved house just over 3 weeks ago and in order to try and retain the number my mum had had for nearly 40 years, against my better judgement, we decided to stay with Virgin because I read that it wasn’t possible to keep the same number if you were moving house and changing suppliers at the same time.

HOWEVER someone at Virgin stuff up our house move and even though we emphasised keeping our number, instead of the move being set up as a transfer, our old account was cancelled and a new account at our new address created, resulting in the number being released back to BT (it was originally a BT number but my mum ported it to Virgin when she signed up with them 12 or so years ago).

3 weeks later our landline still doesn’t work and Virgin have had to confess that BT won’t release the number to them. They tried to hold us to the contract but I kicked up a fuss and they’ve released us. So today I’ve arranged for our account to be transfer to Plusnet.

My question is this, we’ve been allocated a new number but could Plusnet retrieve our lost number for us from BT? We’re still in the same area but not sure if it’s the same exchange. My mum is really upset about losing the number and worried that people she isn’t in contact with regularly won’t be able to contact her as they don’t all have her mobile or email address (which now has to change too as we’ve leaving Virgin).

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Retrieve number lost by Virgin

Thanks for getting in touch @Emmal I'm sorry to see the issues you've had while moving house.

As long as there are no technical limitations such as the exchange that your phone number was first made on isn't different than the exchange your new address is provided by and the number hasn't already been allocated to another line, we should be able to get it back for you. Could you send me a private message with your number so I can look into this further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Emmal
Hooked

Thank you. Have just PM’d you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks @Emmal I'll message you back this afternoon

(There's currently some routine maintenance on the supplier systems this morning)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Emmal
Hooked

Great. Thanks.

Emmal
Hooked

Thank you so much for getting our landline working SO quickly! We weren’t able to get the old number but in under 48 hours since applying we now have a working landline which in over 3 weeks Virgin had been unable to achieve!

Looking forward to the broadband being activated so we can order the YouView TV device!

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Cheers
Emma
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the post back @Emmal I'm happy to see we've managed to provide you with a phone line so quickly. I've placed an order to provide fibre on the line and we should be able to confirm when you'll get a fibre service soon. 🙂

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet