cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolving noisy lines

pebblypuss
Dabbler

Resolving noisy lines

I recently reported a noisy line fault that the BT guys came and looked at, heard nothing (after all, it was intermittent) then decided to run some tests. They found a small HR disconnect 600m up the road from me, went and had a look at a DP and decided it was OK after all because they couldn't hear anything at my end on their handset and it all looked OK. They also reminded me that there were no spare pairs available and I'd just have to wait until it got really bad again to call them out. I call plusnet back and they have trouble hearing me despite the fact I can't hear any noise on the line.
Why do I have to go through the process again? The engineers identified a fault and then decided arbitrarily that it wasn't one. To compound matters whatever they did do has screwed my broadband completely with disconnects every 5 mins and appalling upload (yes upload) speeds in the region of 96kb that stops things like logmein from working. Bizarrely the download rate has a margin capable of 2mb yet I'm capped at 576k and that has a huge noise margin now.
So I can't log a broadband fault because the line noise issue hasn't been resolved and I can't get the noisy line repaired because it doesn't sound noisy. Yet there's clearly a fault.
Where do I go from here?
Mark.
5 REPLIES 5
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Resolving noisy lines

Hi Mark,
intermittent problems are the not easy to resolve but until that noise Is fixed then theres nothing more you can do. Who Is your Phone supplier? Is there any specific time of the day that this noise on your line occurs?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pebblypuss
Dabbler

Phone and broadband are with Plusnet. Precisely because I thought this sort of thing was better handled if it was all under one roof.
Seriously thinking about bailing for a provider that guarantees to fix broken lines if they take you on.
Mark.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi pebblypuss,
It's always difficult to resolve intermittent issues.  If the engineer cannot replicate the fault then they will have little justification to make any changes to your line.  Engineer visits are often fact finding missions.  The engineer obviously couldn't prove that the issue at the DP was definitely the cause.  If the engineer had made some changes to your line there would have been no way to prove that the fault was resolved as the fault was not presenting at the time.
I can see that an engineer visit is booked for tomorrow so lets see what happens during that visit and go from there.
pebblypuss
Dabbler

Well the engineer came and gave me a new pair (probably my old pair from Feb 2010) back to the exchange from the DP up the road. Phone line is not now noisy, hurrah! Broadband still up and down like a yoyo though. Still capped at 576kbs, still losing sync every few hours and getting anything from 300kbs to 576kbs (but capable of 1800 according to router).
I'm surrounded by FTTC exchanges but BT wired our village from a cabinet 2 miles away so we've no hope whatsoever of an improvement. I'm putting together a case for getting a local wireless ISP to move into our area then say goodbye to all this for good.
Mark.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

It just goes to show that while BT continues to deliver its Infinity service via copper from the cabinet there are people who will gain nothing from the service touted as fibre optic.
Keep a detailed written log of each interaction with BT and PN so that you can present a well documented argument about quality of service. Inevitably because of the business structure imposed on BT by the regulator you cannot have direct contact with OpenReach the people who actually own the physical network. PN may be owned by BT, but any queries they raise with OpenReach just go via a help desk and the problem details of individual cases rarely reach the attention of OpenReach management. Check around with your neighbours in the village and see if it is possible to present a joint complaint to the regulator.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.