cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserve a landline number

Dairymaids

Reserve a landline number

Hi all, I am moving house once all the work is done. It is in a different area so cant take the number with me. How soon can you find out what your new number will be? Was hoping to send new number out with Christmas cards but probably wont be moving for a couple of months. Can numbers be reserved? T I A
3 REPLIES 3
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Reserve a landline number

Sorry, can't answer the question directly, but there are two options to consider.

If the "new" house has already had a phone installed at some point, it may be  possible to take over the line. In which case you keep their number.

If it doesn't have a line at present, you might consider setting up a VOIP account, and porting your existing number to the VOIP provider either before you move, or as you do so.That way you keep the current number.

A Sipgate basic account provides incoming calls on a geographic number - they will allocate (actually you get to choose from a list) you a number immediately you set up the account, so you could give out that one. Cost is minimal if you only use it for inbound calls, and calls are cheap if you don't. I think they charge £30 to port in an existing number.

If the new house is a new build, it may have FTTP rather than copper - in which case you are probably committed to a VOIP landline anyway.

Dairymaids

Thanks wisty. Looked at the voip thing. Not a problem about taking the old number anymore, more about having the new one before moving the subscription to new address. Very swift reply by the way👍👍👍
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Dairymaids and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm afraid we would only be able to confirm the auto assigned new number once your phone order is placed therefore we wouldn't be able to let you know what number is assigned ahead of time of the house move being arranged.