cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting nuisance calls (1477)

mapletree
Grafter

Reporting nuisance calls (1477)

Does PN support reporting nuisance calls via the 1477 code?  If so, how can I use this?
12 REPLIES 12
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Reporting nuisance calls (1477)

Hi mapletree,
As far as I'm aware this isn't a separate service that we offer. From having a look into it it seems like it can be used to trace the last incoming call if required. I'm not entirely sure if it's possible with our service. It's worth giving it a try next time you receive a nuisance call! Smiley
You can find our guide on nuisance calls here: http://www.plus.net/support/phone/nuisance_calls.shtml
Hope it helps!
mapletree
Grafter

I've read loads of guides to nuisance calls.  Wink  Now I rarely answer the phone unless it's a number I recognise[1] but we still get cold callers.  When I used to answer calls the cold callers would not identify themselves and used withheld/international number so I could not report them.
[1] This does mean I sometimes miss important calls though.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

It's a problem many of us face and it's a great shame the telecoms companies and OFCOM cannot or will not address.
I also refuse to answer any unrecognised call and face the same risk of missing important calls.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a simpler system
International unavailable - ignore or pick/put down immediately
Unavailable - pick it up and say Hello and don't give any other information. It could be the doctor's surgery or the local hospital (that was on Tuesday)
Number shown - treat as a legitimate call
It seems to meet my needs
AndyH
Grafter

Nuisance calls you can report - http://ico.org.uk/concerns/marketing
It's a shame very little action gets taken against telemarketers in the UK who clearly and deliberately contact people on the TPS Register. 
mapletree
Grafter

There's no point in reporting nusiance calls if you don't know who is calling you.
The big problem is that I am lazy.  I don't want to stop what I am doing to go and check who is calling.  Therefore I don't even want the phone to ring if it's a cold caller.  The technology must be there to identify these callers and block them completely.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Having said this
Quote from: Strat
I also refuse to answer any unrecognised call

if I'm expecting a call from someone who withholds their number I will pick up 'withheld' calls but any other time my answering machine takes them.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mapletree
Grafter

IME no-one leaves a message on the answer machine.  According to what I have heard elsewhere that the NHS will not leave messages owing to (misguided IMHO) privacy concerns.
mapletree
Grafter

I've just tried "1477" and I get a message saying "service not available".
first500
Dabbler

1477 is used by PlusNet's rivals, and I don't understand why PlusNet can't tap into it.  Of course it's no use for withheld numbers, but It's a very simple way of allowing a database to capture the numbers of nuisance callers who don't suppress their caller ID - which in my experience is at least half of them.
If enough people report the same number as a nuisance, it would be a very simple step to get a database to block those calls, to the people who have reported it at least if not to everybody.  This could be triggered by setting a threshold number, say 20.  It could even be programmed to send an automated message to the nuisance caller saying the number has been blocked due to high numbers of nuisance reports.
The number could be automatically unblocked after a period of few reports.
Come on PlusNet - nuisance calls are are a real nuisance, and nobody seems to want to do anything.  Why not lead the way and turn it into a marketing Plus?
I'd appreciate a serious response from a PlusNet representative.
Suzy

Did you get a response?  It's such a good idea.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've passed the feedback to the Products team, however, I can't promise that this is something that will be added to the road map. I do agree that it's a good idea...I've found the most effective way of dodging those calls is unplugging my phone when I don't want to be disturbed! Smiley