cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing NTE5 Mk1

lilacmoon
Hooked

Replacing NTE5 Mk1

My landline isn't working but my broadband's fine.  Landline DOES work when plugged into the test socket so I'm trying to fix the problem to avoid a callout charge.   The NTE5 Mk1 master socket has the ports aligned vertically, with the ADSL socket above the telephone socket.  I've tried a new face plate for the lower part but that didn't help.  As the Mk1 is discontinued and I can't find one anywhere, I'm wondering if a new style NTE5 master socket, with the sockets side by side, will fit without me having to rewire anything?  I don't have any extensions, just the phone and the computer.  Can anyone advise please?

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Replacing NTE5 Mk1

Hi there.

If you don't have any extension sockets it should be relatively straightforward to fit a NTE5 SSFP (Service Specific Face Plate) though as your service works in the test socket it's not something we can fully support you with or be liable for if something goes wrong when you fit it.

That said if you can post up a photo of your socket we may be able to advise further and I'm sure others on the Community may be able to offer some guidance too.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Your symptoms and actions thus far do point towards a faulty SSFP (filtered faceplate).

As far as I'm aware there are not different 'Mks' of NTE5, just the NTE5A and NTE 5C.

The latter will only accept the SSFP Mk4, but there are many reports on techie forums re its build quality and reliability.

In your situation I would purchase a Mk3 faceplate (vertically aligned ports) to use with the existing NTE5A.

It can be fitted without re-terminating any wires.

34271i7A7964E0B5D3B2A2.jpg

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
lilacmoon
Hooked

Thank you very much for your reply!  I got the idea that it was a Mk1 from this discussion:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Openreach-master-socket-MK1-or-MK2/td-p/1234705

As an elderly technophobe I didn't know my NTE5 from my elbow until my phone went dead in a thunderstorm a week ago and have gleaned all information from google and YouTube.

I'm searching for the Mk3 faceplate as you suggested, they seem really hard to find - there is one on Amazon but it includes all the other bits and pieces that I don't need and it's almost £30 with the postage.  I don't suppose you have any idea where I might find just the faceplate?  Otherwise I'll get the Amazon one; at least I can return it if it doesn't fit. I've attached a picture of mine; it does look the same.

Thanks again, 

Janet.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Link fixed.

lilacmoon
Hooked

Just noticed my link doesn't work, no idea why, it's copied and pasted exactly.Sad

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Until looking around tonight, I hadn't realised that the Mk3 had become so scarce.

If you're quick you might get one here - £9·99 inc postage -

Link

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
lilacmoon
Hooked

Great, I've bought it!  I didn't see that when I looked on eBay.

Thank you so much for all your help, I really do appreciate it! 

Kind regards,

Janet 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Excellent news! Smiley

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)