Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of carrier pre-select

FIXED
Rani
Hooked

Removal of carrier pre-select

Until 8th July 2015 Tesco Broadband were the service provider to my landline. On that date I switched to Plusnet. I was unable to make outgoing calls following the switch. I complained to Plusnet and they carried out various checks on the line. Plusnet advised me that I had a product called CPS [carrier pre-select] which was causing my issue. Plusnet said that this was not a service they provided so it had to have been added by my previous provider (Tesco). Because it was added by my previous provider they had to be the ones to remove it, so Plusnet told me to contact Tesco and ask them to remove CPS from my line. In the meantime I was able to by-pass CPS by dialling 1280 before each outgoing call.

Sounds simple, doesn’t it? Over the next two months and after extensive correspondence between me and Plusnet and Tesco, it ended up with each company saying it was the responsibility of the other to remove CPS. There is much more detail I could go into but I won’t at this stage!

The one interesting matter that Plusnet told me was an enquiry they had made of Openreach whose records showed that CPS was successfully removed on the 8th July by request (Tesco). Openreach’s records then show another order to provide CPS on the line shortly after. The agent Plusnet spoke to stated that this order looked like it had been generated under an automated computer system rather than an agent but that he couldn't confirm 100% one way or another. Therefore it is a result of the second order that CPS was still operating – Tesco’s re-order may not be showing in their records which is why they were claiming that CPS had been successfully removed. I asked Tesco about this and to check with the Openreach/CPS Helpdesk, but they did not, stating that CPS had been removed and that as my account with them was no longer active they had no authority over my phone line.

All of that was over six years ago. I was never able to get CPS removed and I learned to live with dialling 1280. I am thinking of switching from Plusnet to another provider for my landline and broadband. Before I go ahead I would like to resolve the CPS issue and get it removed so that I don’t have a similar problem with a new provider. Can anyone please help?

20 REPLIES 20
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Removal of carrier pre-select

I asked Tesco about this and to check with the Openreach/CPS Helpdesk, but they did not, stating that CPS had been removed and that as my account with them was no longer active they had no authority over my phone line.

So what happens if you dont use the 1280 prefix, Tesco have stated that your account is no longer active, so they cant bill you can they ? So who charges for the call if CPS is still active ? or does it just prevent outgoing calls ?

I would have thought that since PlusNet now 'own' the line and apparently dont support CPS , they would be able to place an order with OR to remove it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rani
Hooked

Thanks for your prompt reply. If I don't dial 1280 I cannot make outgoing calls. When I dial 1280 the call is charged to Plusnet. Plusnet have said that because the CPS was put on by Tesco, Plusnet cannot remove it. Tesco claimed they had removed it, but it looks as though it got re-ordered by them. Tesco showed no willingness to help at all. Tesco no longer exist as a phone/broadbad provider.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The PlusNet help team who frequent this forum are often more experienced in dealing with these 'odd' cases than the normal Customer Support. Hopefully one of them will see this thread shortly and offer some assistance. If there's no response then I'll prod them to come and take a look...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rani
Hooked

Thank you

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Rani and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see you're having issues making calls because there's CPS on the line. 

This is generally either we've requested to retain CPS in error while transferring your phone service to us, or there was a system error at the time. I can't find out which one it is, due to how long ago the transfer was, because the order or fault records on our suppliers ordering system only go back for the last 2 years. 

Unfortunately this is extremely difficult to remove, but I'll see what I can do though I've never been successful, because our suppliers normally say it's down to the previous provider to request. As a workaround, in these rare cases, we generally temporarily cease the line and then restart it, though this doesn't come without some downtime. 

However, as Tesco now no longer exist as a phone or broadband provider, this may help us remove it for you once and for all without having to cease your line. I've e-mailed the relevant team within our suppliers helpdesk and I'll let you know as soon as I've got a response back, which should be within the next 10 working days. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Rani  you've got one of the top men on the case now😀

@Gandalf  one could argue that when Tesco stopped being a supplier, then Openreach should have automatically removed their CPS from any lines that had it. ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Reading the original post again, it appears that CPS was removed and then re-appeared for some reason, which suggests Tesco had done their bit to remove it, but it’s puzzling as to how it was put back on. 

With Tesco no longer providing phone lines, either way this may help find an avenue within suppliers to resolve.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rani
Hooked

Thank you for trying to help. The relevant part of an email from Plusnet to me dated 31st July is as follows:

Dear Ms JACKSON,

Thank you for your time on the phone.

As discussed, Tesco are stating that CPS was successfully removed on the 8th July when the line was moved to Plusnet.

Armed with this new information, I called Openreach to ask them to double check that the CPS flag for your line wasn't incorrectly marked. Unfortunately, they did confirm that CPS was active on the line however they have provided me with a little more information.

According to their records, CPS was successfully removed on the 8th July by request. Their records then show another order to provide CPS on the line shortly after. The agent I spoke with states that this order looked like it had been generated under an automated computer system rather than an agent but that he couldn't confirm 100% one way or another. 

I believe that it is is second order which is why Tesco are stating it was removed. When they check their records, it may well show that it was successfully removed and the reprovided order may not be showing on their system at all.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the info @Rani

Out of interest, was there an agent's name at the bottom of that e-mail? Can you private message me their name, if so?

I'm thinking, if they're still in the business, I could link in with them to see if they have any ideas.

Although it seems doubtful they'll be able to remember this, I still remember calls I've taken in 2014, so perhaps. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rani
Hooked

Anoush, thanks for offering to take it up with him. Rani

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Rani, I've asked him but he hasn't got any further ideas unfortunately.

I'll see what our suppliers helpdesk come back with and I'll let you know. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rani
Hooked

Thank you.

Rani

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Rani,

I've spoken with & discussed this with our suppliers helpdesk at some length today, and I've raised a case into Openreach's Application Support Desk for help. As soon as I know more, I'll be sure to let you know. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rani
Hooked

I really appreciate the time and effort you are putting in to sort this problem. Thank you. Rani