cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: People complaining about a terrible noise on my phone when they call me or I call them.

g3zlw

Re: People complaining about a terrible noise on my phone when they call me or I call them.

Hi - I am new to the community and have a problem that I think you have the background to advise upon. 

I had a new Plusnet telephone line installed about 6 months ago along with fibre broadband. Up until then I was a Virgin cable customer and noticed that the BT lines telephone receiver volume was lower than Virgins. I tried a few different corded phones which all gave similar results. I had an Openreach engineer call to conduct line tests (I have experienced no problems with the broadband) which all passed OK.

I am a retired radio engineer and have used an oscilloscope to check various levels on the line but without access to the neccessary standards have concluded that it is something that I may just have to live with.

While monitoring the line however I discovered that about every 30 minutes the line appears to be becoming looped with the 50 volts DC dropping down to around 8 or 9 volts for a period of approximately two or three seconds during which dial tone is present on the line. To clarify this is occuring when all my telephone is on hook.

In your opinion is there a reason why this is happening? For instance is there any equipment at the exchange that might be causing this? At first I considered that it might have been a cable fault (intermittently shorting) but the regularity of the timing (every 30 minutes) makes me suspect the cause is otherwise. Sometimes the line loops more than once during a 30 minute event with a second (2 to 3 second) loop occuring 2 or 3 minutes later.

This also appears to be happen during a call where a click can be heard followed by a couple of seconds of slight loss of audio volume and an increase in distortion which then ceases with another audible click.

As the cable drop to the house is new and this happens using just the test socket (all extensions disconnected) I am fairly certain the fault must originate at the exchange or maybe from a street box?

Kind Regards

Richard

2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Richard, first of all a warm welcome to the community forums.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your phone service being quiet.

I've tested your line, and I'm detecting a battery contact at the exchange.

Honestly, I'm unable to explain in any detail what this means.

From searching Google, it appears that it's due to contact with an additional voltage source

For example, from another line circuit which can be caused by water acting as a conductor where wires have become poorly insulated. Reference: here though I'm not entirely sure how reliable this source may be.

I've raised this fault to Openreach to investigate further.

We expect to receive an update by 01/06/17 23:59:59

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.

split posts into their own topic
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'