cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random phone calls

mobeydick
Dabbler

Random phone calls

I have an odd problem. I am getting brief calls from random numbers. When i answer, I just get dial tone. A few minutes later, often, I get a call from that number, with somebody asking why I called them!

I have had 5 of these this morning, with irritable people on the other end.

I cant get through on the o0800 help line to Plusnet, and I am not even sure if its Plusnet or BT I should call!

Please help !

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Random phone calls

@mobeydick Welcome to the forums. By the sound of it, your phone number has been 'spoofed' by one or more of the scam merchants. Unfortunately, because these wastes of oxygen operate either from outside the UK, and/or use VoIP phones, there is nothing anyone can do.

The only option you have is to ignore 'unknown' numbers, unless you're expecting a call.

John
mobeydick
Dabbler

OK thanks. That sort of makes sense. I am getting a lot of calls from similar area codes, and they always seem to be from elderly people, of from their relatives.

I eventually managed to contact Plusnet support, and they are sending an engineer out tomorrow morning. Doesn't seem much point, if what you say is true...?

I had about 20 calls today, before I unplugged the phone....

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@mobeydick wrote:

I eventually managed to contact Plusnet support, and they are sending an engineer out tomorrow morning.

Really? 🙄 To what end?

I hope they're not going to charge you when no fault is found.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

You beat me to it, @198kHz .

@mobeydick What reason did they give for this? As I explained earlier, your number has been spoofed and there is absolutely nothing an engineer (or anyone else) can do about it.

John
mobeydick
Dabbler

Ok, I have been now told the engineer has been cancelled, as they have found an 'internal problem' that will be rectified by midnight on Wednesday, at the latest.

Make of that what you will..

MD

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

That does actually make more sense.

From your initial report it did seem it was a bit more complicated than random spammers, and more like some kind of exchange or wiring  issue.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Mustrum wrote:

That does actually make more sense.

Indeed it does.

@mobeydick

If you could report back on what transpires I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

@198kHz You are correct.😉

John
mobeydick
Dabbler

Will do.

mobeydick
Dabbler

OK, so Tuesday morning the Openreach engineer  - who had been cancelled, I was told - turned up. I explained the situation, and she agreed there was nothing she could do about it, so she went away.

This morning, Wednesday, I get a text message from Plusnet saying the fault has been fixed! Hooray.

I plug the phone in (I had disconnected it due to continual calls) and it immediately starts ringing. I answer, and it is yet another elderly person asking if I had called them. I get more calls every minute or less, until I unplug again.

I reported this to Plusnet, and they are escalating.

It seems evident that the my number is being used by scammers. ALL the calls I get from people asking if I had called are elderly. They seem to be clustered in certain area codes (which made me think I was getting called first, then them, as number was very similar). Plusnet dont seem to recognise the issue though.

How long does it usually take for a number, similarly abused, to become free again?

Pointedscarab

This has just started for me today too, 1st call was around 12:30 and i must have had 50+ calls since. Some just hang up when the answer phone cuts in, but a lot are elderly who are asking why im calling them. Ive had to unplug the phone at the socket for some peace.

Pointless having a landline and broadband if i daren't plug the phone back in the socket
jab1
Legend

@Pointedscarab Welcome to the forums. You can have the broadband with out having to have the phone plugged in, you know.

John
mobeydick
Dabbler

Fyi, massed calls lasted Monday to Friday, last week. I had one over the weekend. I supposed scammers have the weekend off too.

Monday morning, 9a.m., I had 5 calls in about an hour, so I thought it was starting again, but have had none in the last five hours.

Most of last week, I just had the phone unplugged. When it started again today, I recorded an answer message saying 'this number is being used for scam calls: if you want to speak to me, call my mobile', set the answer machine to answer only (Do not allow to leave message) and to answer after 2 rings (the minimum). I also turned the ring volume right down.

Whether coincidence or not, the calls stopped (so far) soon after.

jab1
Legend

Could be a combination of circumstances, @mobeydick , but most likely the scam-artistes have moved on to another poor souls number, they very rarely use the same one for any length of time.

John