cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about joining Plus net phone...

mattdanielc
Grafter

Quick question about joining Plus net phone...

Hi guys
Been an internet customer for over 3 years now... in that time I've been with BT for my phone line but I'm sick of their sneakery. 
I was paying £12 a month for my phone but they are now increasing my DD to £19/month due to me not making 6 chargable calls in my bill period - all because I signed up to the 'free' BT privacy at home features with 'free' call display.  Like I said, because I haven't made any chargable calls they have charged me £8.10 (for the caller display) so I am now in debit of around £20 hence the increase in DD.
However if BT think I am willing to pay £19 a month for a phone I don't even use... Wink
So my questions are...
1) I see I can sign up online - does that mean I don't need to call BT and cancel with them?
2) If you guys sort it all out with BT.... do they just take 1 final payment with everything I owe?
3) I see you guys offer caller display for £0.99 - I presume you don't ask us to make chargable calls at the same time?
4) Do you guys offer the 'Privacy at home' thing?
Thanks Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Quick question about joining Plus net phone...

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Correct
4) No
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Not applicable

We have had this debate about chargeable calls on previous occasions.  Some of us believe that the only requirement is that you make calls, not necessarily chargeable ones.
I have to say that my impression was the same as yours as I too have Privacy at Home.  I don't think that I have made the required 2 calls per month and they haven't got onto me yet.
However, I have recently gone onto the saver thingy where you pay up front for one year and the line rentals then comes down to just £9.99 per month so now that they have me on a contract they might just start to nag about it.
I reckon that if you spoke to someone in authority, made a bit of fuss and threatened to leave they might waive the charge for you (well, I hope so). 
Think that I might have to start dialing my mobile and putting the receiver down!    Roll_eyes
mattdanielc
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I reckon that if you spoke to someone in authority, made a bit of fuss and threatened to leave they might waive the charge for you (well, I hope so). 
The problem is what is to stop them in the future from doing it again?  And I have no intention of making chargable calls.
It's cheaper on Plus net anyway - to get evenings and weekends - £15.35 on BT, whereas £12.98 on Plus Net (with caller display) and I will have no fear of extra charges like £8.10 suddenly heading my way!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

4) As I recall, Privacy At Home was Caller Display + registration under TPS. You can pay for Caller Display and there is nothing to stop you signing up under TPS free of charge yourself.
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
When making your decision bear in mind that Plusnet does not offer all of the Calling Features available from BT (e.g. selective call barring).
mattdanielc
Grafter

Signed up to Plus Net home phone earlier this morning  Smiley
Not received email yet confirming the order but hopefully all good.
Thanks for the advice guys.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see the order on your account so it's definitely been picked up Smiley You should get the confirmation email soon.
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Matt
24 hours later...still not received confirmation email, is it definitely ok?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've passed this on to the provisioning team to chase up for you, there should be an update later on today. Sorry about that.
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Matt
Did your colleagues come back to you with any update?
Cheers
mattdanielc
Grafter

Hi Plus Net
I raised a question on the support site on the 5th... it said I would get a response within 30 hours, but still waiting.  Please can anyone assist with what is going on with my move?
alphatango

Hi Mattdanielc
Would be really interested in knowing how this was eventually resolved and the total time the process took?
I am considering moving my home phone to Plusnet from BT but am put off by the time that PN seem to take to respond to tickets (I have now been waiting 10 days for a broadband phone welcome e-mail that they state will be issued in 24 hours from activation!)
Your experience on home phone seems as bad and if this is born out by your experiences I might just be best moving everything elsewhere.
Decision not yet made but heading that way
Thanks
Wheel_nut
Grafter

You probably won't get a response from a PlusNet rep until tomorrow so here are some answers for you:
Quote from: mattdanielc
1) I see I can sign up online - does that mean I don't need to call BT and cancel with them?

You don't need to cancel with BT ... BUT, make sure that you are not bound by a lengthy contract with BT. BT used to have "Rolling" Annual contracts which would cost you the outstanding Rental charges to the end of your contract if you left early.
2) If you guys sort it all out with BT.... do they just take 1 final payment with everything I owe?

Yes. Since BT charge you in advance, they will give you a refund of any unused Rental after you switch. They will refund to your DD Account so leave it open.
3) I see you guys offer caller display for £0.99 - I presume you don't ask us to make chargable calls at the same time?

Correct
4) Do you guys offer the 'Privacy at home' thing?

No, but you can subscribe to the Telephone Preference service for free anyway.