Did you mean: 

Question about the fault reporter

FIXED
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Question about the fault reporter

Just a question;

How long from posting a fault report until I hear something back from the help desk?

I know everyone is busy and C19 is giving everyone hell, but a little response even if just to say ‘we note the problem and will investigate, hang in there’, would be fine.

I ask because our FTTC broadband is really playing up and my son is working from home and needs a reliable connection for his on-line meetings etc.

For the moment we have asked friends and family not to contact us by landline as incoming calls destroy the broadband connection.

From DSLstats reports the SNR is fluctuating all over the place both up and down. The line will randomly drop and on re-connection will have an upload speed anything from 690Kbps (last night) to 2358 Kbps today.

We normally have a rock solid 80/20 (well 79999/19999 near as it can get), connection. Our modem router is a Billion 8800NL and from the stats is working it’s circuits off trying to keep the connection alive. Gimp is on and Vectoring is (and both always have been) on and without both of them I think the connection would have given up and terminated days ago.

Thanks, P.

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Question about the fault reporter

@Pendragon Can't answer your question directly, but this sounds very much like a phone issue. Presumably reported as such?

John
Pendragon
Rising Star

I’ve not used the fault reporter for some time and I even had to Google how to find it lol.

But there did not seem to be a separate section for phone or broadband like before so I just reported it as a noisy line.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

OK - it is reported as a PHONE fault then. For future reference, this:https://www.plus.net/help/ is the support link (at the top of all forum pages)

John
Pendragon
Rising Star

Well here I am again after one week of waiting for something to be done with the phone line.

My support ticket just said is was a faulty line card at the exchange and would be replaced, nothing else, other than expected completion was the 20th.

I checked this morning as I have done every morning for the last week and the line is still noisy (sounds like frying bacon, we had this a lot on ADSL years ago due to water in the joints), so I assume no one has changed it yet.

I did post an update on the ticket yesterday but if any staff member on here can double check for me it would be appreciated.

Thanks, P.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Home Phone.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Pendragon
Rising Star

Another update if any staff member can check a few things for me. The ticket ID is 210268747.

As stated on the ticket we did have a visit from an Openreach engineer to check the telephone line, my remarks along with his are in the ticket response.

However the line noise is back again with a vengeance today and we have had a number of dropouts already this morning. Reconnection speed is fluctuating wildly all over the place and it is causing my Son a lot of stress. He is working from home to limit contact with other people because of my ‘vulnerable’ status, I am nearing 75 in a few weeks and so far have not received the vaccination.

My son is an Electrical Design Engineer and designs tiny (and I do mean tiny) circuit boards for a rather prestige’s company so he needs to talk to customers and suppliers as well as his office all day.

Based on my conversation with the Openreach engineer I don’t expect anything to be expedited until the end of lockdown but if you could, sort of, put in a plea on our behalf it would be much appreciated.

Regards, P.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Pendragon 

I'm sorry for the issues with your connection. I've picked this up now and I've added a reply onto your fault ticket 210268747. In summary I've arranged for another engineer to go out tomorrow morning, but this time on the back of a broadband fault with Openreach as these are generally seen by engineers who can fix a problem no matter what. 

Although it's a bit disappointing that the engineer on the back of a phone fault couldn't resolve the issue with the noise.

We'll see what the next engineer reports back. I'm taking this on personally moving forward so I'll follow things up after the visit. I'm not in the office tomorrow though so I'll check back on the 1st.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pendragon
Rising Star

Thanks for the update @Gandalf 

Phew, and unexpectedly quick reply and action, big thumbs up from both me and my son.

Have a nice weekend, will update you on Monday.

Regards, P.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Pendragon have a good weekend too

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pendragon
Rising Star

Fix

Good Morning @Gandalf 

Well here we are, a new month, a new week and a bright start to your week.

Had the usual early phone call from the engineer Friday morning who was at pains to point out he worked ‘on behalf of’ not ‘for’ Openreach. Checked I had access at the front of the house and arrived shortly after. No twenty questions, no bluster, just a polite check for the access.

He turned up in a morning I would not let a dog out in, high wind, horizontally pouring rain and winter cold. He politely declined my invitation to work in the house because getting into all the PPE stuff would be worse than getting wet.

Did the usual checks on the line, gave me a thumbs up, and when I asked if he had found a fault said yes it was 180 meters away, we both said, ‘ah the green cabinet on the main road’. Off he went and less than an hour later had replaced the faulty jumper cable and restored silence to the phone line.

His last advice was to not reset the DSLAM because he had checked the logs and said whatever modem we had on the line was doing a fantastic job of keeping the broadband working up to now and he thought they could be left to sort it out among themselves.

So fault fixed, phone line is quiet, broadband is back to almost normal, we have 19999 up and 79312 down, bit of an odd download speed but I think that is the result of the very odd Interleave of 1551/1 download/upload.

I’ll give it a week to see if it does a retrain when all the profiles catch up, if not then I’ll force a retrain next weekend.

Thanks for all your help from both me and my son (although it does mean he can’t use the broadband playing up excuse any more) and thanks to the Engineer who worked in appalling conditions to fix it.

Regards, P

PS had my first round if the C19 vaccine Saturday, Wahoo

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome! Good news all round @Pendragon

I'd recommend filling out this form here to pass on your thanks to Openreach for the engineer's efforts in getting it sorted. 

Let me know if there are any issues or anything else you'd need help with. Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet