cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulse Dial / Tone Dial

IKnowNothing
Grafter

Pulse Dial / Tone Dial

If I've got the terminology correct, my phone line only seems to work with pulse dialling and not tone dialling. I've got an old phone that works with pulse dialling so it's not causing me any problems but I discovered recently that with any modern phone that operates on tone dial only I just get a persistent dial tone when I press the buttons and it won't dial out. Shouldn't all lines should be tone dial these days?
9 REPLIES 9
itsme
Grafter

Re: Pulse Dial / Tone Dial

Most handsets name the dialling as Pulse and Tone but for me the proper technical names are Loop Disconnect and DTMF dialling.
All lines have supported DTMF dialling for a number of years. If you sure that the handset has been configured correctly and is working then I would report line as faulty.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

True, itsme, but I'd be inclined to try the phone on a friend's or neighbour's line first, and/or try a known working tone phone.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Pick up the other phone and listen whilst pressing the buttons on the DTMF(Tone) phone, much easier  Wink
If it's sending out tones then try it on another line.
IKnowNothing
Grafter

Tried it with a brand new phone a while back. Bought another new one for my mum the other day. Didn't work on my line but is fine on hers. Its not the phone at fault.
Anotherone
Champion

Is this plugged in via a filter that you are checking, or have you checked plugged direct into the test socket behind the front plate of your NTE5 assuming you've got a Master Socket that looks like the one on the LHS. If you haven't got an NTE5 then try it plugged direct into the Master socket with any other equipment unplugged from any other sockets etc. If it still doesn't work then raise a fault with your Line Rental provider.
IKnowNothing
Grafter

Thanks for the idea. Still the same with phone plugged directly into the test socket but so long as I've got an old phone that works with it I'm not going to bother trying to get anything done about it. Just wondered if anyone else had had the same thing really and why it would be like that.
prichardson
Grafter

I've run a test on the account associated with for Community site account for a "Continuous Dialtone Fault", however it has not detected anything.
That's not to say there is no problem, given the description of what you have done.
Raising a fault with the test result we are seeing, always comes with the caveat on the risk of charges, but the recommended tests others have provided to you so far suggests any such risk would be minimal to non-existent.
There is nothing we can change on the line that would allow this operation. Your exchange is of a type that supports this and I am not actually sure there are any exchanges these days that don't.
One question. If you dialed our support line from your line, then used the second handset to dial the tone options on our phone service, do these work?
I highly suspect they will, bit should help indicate the extent of the issue.
Anotherone
Champion

That last suggestion is a nice one Phil!
IKnowNothing
Grafter

Quote from: P
One question. If you dialed our support line from your line, then used the second handset to dial the tone options on our phone service, do these work?

Not entirely sure I understand what you mean. And I don't have 2 different phones within easy reach to try anything any more. But the whole ''press 1 for etc" thing works with the phone I've got set to pulse dial if I press the star key before doing it, otherwise if it's set to tone dial I can't dial out in the first place and if I dial up on pulse dial and then switch it to tone dial I still need to press the star key.