cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Truecall Whisper Function

PaulBenn
Dabbler

Problems with Truecall Whisper Function

I have a partner who happens to be blind (hence me posting for her) and uses Plusnet for her phone I have been trying to set up a Truecall box for her. The current one is the third one we have had and it was tested on the Truecall network by the Truecall support guy who sent it out. However, when it is plugged in and connected here we can never get the Whisper function to work e.g. there is a whisper set up for my mobile number but when I call the box only announces my number and not my name. Today we tested the box on my partner's mother's phone line (she is also with Plusnet) with the same result - no name announced. I have checked the setting and I know that whisper is on and that a whisper is definitely stored for my number. Is this problem related to the Plusnet network? Is there anything else I should check? Have others experienced the same problem and, if so, what was the solution?

8 REPLIES 8
PaulBenn
Dabbler

Re: Problems with Truecall Whisper Function

As an update on the post above (I couldn't find how to edit my original post) we have now managed to test the Truecall box on a friend's phone line. The friend is with BT as her phone provider. In this instance, the whisper function worked as designed indicating an issue with the Plusnet network when using Truecall units. Can someone advise how this issue can be overcome (short of changing providers!)?

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Are you sure it's an issue with Plusnet have you been using the same handset on all of your tests?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@PaulBenn do you have caller display enabled on the line?

Does a caller number show on a suitable phone?

PN uses the same phone line and systems as BT, so it should not be a case of changing supplier, more a case of understanding what is needed to get it working.

PaulBenn
Dabbler

Caller display has been enabled on the line. The Truecall unit has always announced the phone number of incoming calls on our starred list but has never announced the Whisper until we connected it to a BT line.

PaulBenn
Dabbler

Three different handsets have been used - two connect to Plusnet and one connected to BT. All handsets displayed incoming phone numbers via caller display.

richard_25

Its a bit of a long shot as you seem to have proved the unit working to your requirements on BT line.

My apology's if you have checked this already

Have you had a look in the additional settings found by selecting "Handling Incoming Calls" the 5th item down on the control panel.

Then from here clicking on Customise.

This should show a list of call types with settings for Day & Night time.

Clicking on say the ACCEPT CALL from the day time list for STAR LIST CALLER should then show a list of choices.

let me know if you require more info.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I have a,feeling that Plusnet activate the basic voicemail 1571 service by default. Could that be causing the problem ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PaulBenn
Dabbler

I may have found the problem. I connected the unit to my own phone line (Plusnet) and it worked. This phone line also has 1571 answer phone activated on it. However, it is a very basic phone (it doesn't even need mains power). I suddenly realised that the two Plusnet lines that had failed were via phones that had answerphones built into them. It is highly probable that this is what has been causing the problem. One of the answerphones was definitely operative. I am not sure about the answerphone on my partner's phone. I thought it had been switched off but could easily have been accidentally switched back on at some point. I won't be able to check this out until Wednesday afternoon at the earliest. I will post back here with an update on what I find out.