Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Plusnet

Nicola1
Hooked

Problems with Plusnet

Has anyone had this problem?

I am currently being charged for calls I have not made. Began suddenly on the 19th March and as the amount was so small I didn’t notice immediately. I contacted Plusnet and unfortunately they have not been much help. They suggested my home alarm system was the problem. I don’t have an alarm system! Then they suggested my printer was the problem. My printer cost a few pounds from Argos and doesn’t have a fax. I then unplugged my router and took the phone line out of the socket and the calls were still being made. It happens at 2:30am everyday. And, importantly, it happens when I unplug my phone and router.  The calls used to cost me 34p per day but now it’s increased to 36p per day. 

I’ve filmed the router unplugged and the phone socket empty. Plusnet still don’t believe me. Can anyone on this forum help please? 

35 REPLIES 35
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Problems with Plusnet

Do you have any extension wiring with say an old Sky box connected? Try taking the front off the BT Master Socket, this pulls straight off (you may have to remove two screws). This will reveal the Test Socket. If this is left with nothing plugged in and you're  still having calls logged then it sounds like BT have screwed up your wiring somewhere along the line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Nicola1
Hooked

No old Skybox, I have nothing like this and I removed the socket and the calls are still being made. Thank you for your help. 

Kimberlin
Rising Star

Do you have a DECT phone you can walk around the house with? These can be hacked, but it's pretty rare I think.

There's also the possibility you have a 'crossed' line, though if this is the case it's something Plusnet/Openreach need to look into.

You state this issue is happening at the same time every day, 02.30 in the morning? Have you tried dialing your own number from a mobile phone at that unworldly hour to check it is engaged? It might be worth filming/recording that, but you will need a witness to corroborate what you're doing. It's strange it's happening at the same time bang in the middle of the night.

Baldrick1

Have you looked at the itemised calls list in the member centre phone control panel to see if the number being rung is identified?

Moderator and Customer

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately I can't see why this has happened.

We're investigating this further and will update the open ticket on your account

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Nicola1
Hooked

Hi,

So [CSA Removed] Plusnet is saying that my central heating boiler is making these automated calls. He is effectively saying that despite my router being unplugged, my phone line and face plate removed from the wall, my central heating boiler is making automated calls. 

My boiler has has been in situ since September 2016. According to [CSA Removed] Plusnet ithe boiler only started doing this on 19th March 2018.  I joined Plusnet August 2017 and my bills were fine until 19th March 2018. [CSA Removed] Plusnet suggested I was on free landline bills from my previous internet provider. I wasn’t and how would you account for the first 7 months of my billing with Plune to be correct [CSA Removed]

I did call the British Gas who fitted the boiler - they confirmed my boiler was not the problem. Can anyone help me with this?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

So [CSA Removed] Plusnet is saying that my central heating boiler is making these automated calls. He is effectively saying that despite my router being unplugged, my phone line and face plate removed from the wall, my central heating boiler is making automated calls. 

I've never heard of a boiler being connected to the phone line!

Yes, alarm systems are typically connected to the phone line, but boilers, rubbish!

I think whoever said that is getting confused with the British Gas Boiler IQ service https://www.britishgas.co.uk/smart-home/boiler-iq.html . If you have it, then it connects via a Hive Hub to the internet and warns of boilers faults, it does not use the phone line!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Nicola1
Hooked

This is the actual advice via e-mail sent from [CSA Removed]

Dear Miss  Thanks for your patience. I've called the number and it appears to be an automated monitoring system (for something such as an alarm or boiler (some google results for the number suggest it's a Bosch Boiler number)). The only way we can waive the call charges is if it is proved that there is an issue with the line external to your property that's causing it and not something connected to the line internally (not necessarily via a socket as we often see thins wired directly to the line, and as the line tests are all passing the only way we can proceed is to book an Openreach Engineer to come out and check the line from your property back towards the exchange. If you are wanting to proceed, please give us your availability for an engineers visit. For line issues Openreach are available AM (8-1) or PM (1-6) Monday - Friday, weekend slots are not available. If you want to cancel, please speak to our Customer Options Team. They are available Monday - Friday, 8am - 8pm, Saturday, 9am - 7pm and Sunday, 9am - 6pm on the number below or direct on 0800 013 2632, they are also available via our online chat system. Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance. Kind regards, [CSA Removed]

I can confirm, after a lengthy chat with British Gas (they fitted my boiler in a September in 2016) they did not wire my phone line to my boiler. They have assured me this is not something they would ever do! I have already told various Plusnet people I don’t have an alarm system. Any other suggestions?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.

Moved this from broadband to home phone as it’s a calls issue.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

If you have removed the front section of the master socket leaving only an empty test socket and the automated calls are still being made then all you can do is take up the offer for a BT engineerf to inspect your property.

The only other viable option is to take up an unlimited phone call package and ignore it.

Moderator and Customer

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Baldrick1 wrote:

The only other viable option is to take up an unlimited phone call package and ignore it.

Are you being serious?

Would you ignore somebody connecting to your unlimited broadband for example?

Sheesh

Nicola1
Hooked

Thank you Sheesh, no, I’m not going to ignore the problem by taking out an unlimited landline call package. 

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Nicola1 wrote:

My boiler has has been in situ since September 2016. According to [CSA Removed] Plusnet the boiler only started doing this on 19th March 2018.  I joined Plusnet August 2017 and my bills were fine until 19th March 2018. [CSA Removed] Plusnet suggested I was on free landline bills from my previous internet provider. I wasn’t and how would you account for the first 7 months of my billing with Plusnet to be correct [CSA Removed]

Aye, that's a mystery.

Other than that, the evidence thus far

• Single call every day at the same time
  • Call is to a BG monitoring system
  • Boiler was fitted by BG
  • Calls are made despite everything being unplugged
  • No one would purposely 'fiddle' these calls - surely?

would suggest that it is the boiler, but it has been connected in error to the incoming pair at the rear of the master socket.

If found by BTOR, it would probably be a chargeable job to sort it.

@Nicola1  Do you know any techie friends/relations who would take a peek at the master socket to see if there are any unaccounted for wires in there?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

One fundamental check not suggested - dial 17070 and confirm you have the right number on your line.

Phone your number from a mobile and make sure your phone rings. A crossed line and someone else making calls on your line is not unheard of. The “your line is fault free” remote tests cannot confirm where the circuit terminated ... only that it is complete.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.