cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with socket

contrary_mary

Problem with socket

We had no dial tone and couldn't make calls, and when anyone tried to ring they got an engaged tone. We did have internet still though. (It is an openreach double socket)

I plugged the phone into the master socket and it is now working, so clearly we need to do something about the socket. Is that something we need an engineer got? Will we have to pay? Or can we do it ourselves?
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Problem with socket

Hi there, yes we'd need to arrange for an Openreach engineer to come out and deal with that for you. 

Just before we get stuck into that it would be a good idea to make sure you've followed the checks here: https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@adamwalker 

There's an interesting question here that you have not answered. I understand that the phone is working fine from the Test socket so there's a problem with the filtered faceplate. My understanding has always been that the BT responsibility ends at the Test socket. Filtered faceplates are available to us all and we are all at liberty to change them. The actual faceplate in use might or might not have been supplied by BT.

So the missing answer: if the OP does in fact get a BT engineer to pop in and fit a new faceplate will they be presented with a bill?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@contrary_mary 

In my last post I may of misunderstood your post. Are you saying that if you plug your telephone into an extension socket that it does not work or are you saying that you need to take the front off the master socket and plug into the rear test socket for it to work? 

In either case you can fix it yourself. If it's an extension socket then you will definitely be presented with a bill. If it's just the faceplate then my previous post stands.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'