cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to move Engineer visit forward?

leight
Grafter

Possible to move Engineer visit forward?

Hello there!
I've just signed up for a new account with Plusnet, as I am moving home.
We know the number for the new apartment. It has an Openreach socket, but no dial tone when plugging in the phone, so I suspect it has been disconnected at some point. I'm assuming the presence of the Openreach branded socket means that a NEW line does not need to be installed, and therefore the installation visit to the property is probably unnecessary.
When signing up, the options for my engineer visit were a month in the future. A month without internet, can you imagine?! It's a crime against civilisation!
I realise the signup system probably picks available dates based on a guess rather than real engineer availability, so I was wondering if it's possible to call someone (Plusnet, or maybe BT - I'm sure Plusnet probably forward the request on to BT), to see if there are any closer dates available, or have been any cancellations in the area, that we can take advantage of?
Many thanks,
Leigh.
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Possible to move Engineer visit forward?

Hi there,
Unfortunately it looks like the line has been disconnected either at the exchange or green box, hence the need for an engineer. It's always worth asking about earlier dates though - if you log in to http://contactus.plus.net you should be able to raise a ticket asking if that would be possible, or it might be quicker to call our support team and ask directly.
Hope that helps.
leight
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Unfortunately it looks like the line has been disconnected either at the exchange or green box, hence the need for an engineer.

Cheers Matt, that's what I expected, it wouldn't make sense for them to disconnect the line inside the apartment itself. (So unlikely they'll need building access at all)
For a busy city center exchange (SamKnows estimates around 18500 connections), I'd expect engineer visits to be more frequent than once a month - and surely BT would try and minimise work by bundling as many pending activations together as possible. Right?
I'll give your support team a bell as you suggest, and report back so others can benefit from my experience (or not! depending on the outcome!)
leight
Grafter

After 20 minutes or so of being serenaded by Jarvis Cocker, the Human League, and other music designed to make you hang up as fast as possible....
It seems the engineer visit is not able to be brought forward as BT do not offer cancellations to PlusNet. However it's possible the line will be activated ahead of schedule (possible, not probable), and I will keep monitoring it.
If it does get activated before the scheduled date, then the activation date of the internet connection itself can be brought forward
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fingers crossed it does work that way, sorry we couldn't bring it forward for you though. Hope everything goes smoothly either way.