cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible cut off worry

Razer
Grafter

Possible cut off worry

I keep getting warning letters at my address for someone with Talk Talk and who does not and never has lived here. I've RTS'd them, but they keep coming. I'm concerned that as they are not getting paid they may put in to have the line at my address disconnected. Is there any way that PN can prevent this in advance?
18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Possible cut off worry

Who do you pay your line rental too?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do the letters give a phone number for the supposed line
Razer
Grafter

I'm with PN for my phone, Strat.
I haven't opened any of the letters, Jim, because they're not addressed to me. I can only tell they are about money owed because I can see the big red letters through the envelope paper. I've tried calling their appalling customer service and after very long wait I finally got through today - to India. They can't do anything without an account number and can't find anything from the postcode or name. Useless.
steveuk
Grafter

As far as i know they can't cut you off as you have no service with them and i am sure they are not allowed to just try and cut you off when you have nothing to do with them, I would also guess that your phone number is different to the one TalkTalk are chasing.
Razer
Grafter

So whoever it is that actually does the cut off goes STRICTLY on the phone number, and doesn't just say 'oh well, the address matches and that's the number on that address so we'll cut that one off'?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Its happened in the past and I think it was TT that tried to do it to someone on this forum around Christmas last year.  I would open one of the letters and get on to TT to make sure
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Razer
Grafter

^This is what I thought. I was half sure I'd read a couple of people on here who got cut off because of TT when they have nothing to do with them - i.e. it was supposed to be someone else. I wasn't sure, however, if I was mixing up reading many a negative thing about TT and people being cut off.
As for opening the letter. I do not want to open mail not addressed to me. I wouldn't like it if someone else opened mail for me, whatever the intent.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Razer
As for opening the letter. I do not want to open mail not addressed to me. I wouldn't like it if someone else opened mail for me, whatever the intent.

I really do think you have to open the next one. Either some idiot has mistakenly given your address to TT, or more worryingly, has intentionally done so. Either way I think you are fully justified in opening them to find out what is going on and protect your own position
Razer
Grafter

I can see that someone has joined TT and the TT person in India has input the postcode and chosen the wrong address from those offered by the database. Hell, PN can't even get my address right, even after being 'fixed'. This is what happens when companies rely on address databases from the PO, and upon systems that don't allow proper editing of the fields or editing at all. Anyway, there is more to this which I'm not going to mention here - suffice to say that what you say makes me worry even more. I think I may well have to open the letter to get to the bottom of it even though I really, really don't want to.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You do realise that there is the possibility that this could affect your credit rating
Razer
Grafter

No, I didn't think about that, but why would I be bothered about it? I have no debts, I do not borrow any money, do not and will not seek to borrow any money etc.
picbits
Rising Star

Have a word with your local cop shop, tell them you're concerned someone might be using your address illegaly for fraud purposes and see what they say.
If they tell you to open the mail or offer to do it for you then it's nice and legal then Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why would anyone get upset when you tell them you'd ripped open the letter before you realised it wasn't actually addressed to you? Roll_eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Razer
Grafter

I have actually had a neighbour elsewhere totally flip out at me when I did exactly that.