cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my Telephone Number to a VOIP provider whilst keep Plusnet broadband

Steve99x

Porting my Telephone Number to a VOIP provider whilst keep Plusnet broadband

First use of this community knowledge because Plusnet live chat is not working (claims to be too busy today and previous days) and phone call to PN says wait time in excess of 30 minutes.

This is what I want to do, how do I go about making this happen with Plusnet?

"I currently have a PSTN line and broadband with Plusnet (01904 nnnnnn).

I’m intending to add another  phone line using VoIP over the broadband connection.

To do this I would want to port the number 01904-nnnnnn across to the Voip service provider for the new line.

I suspect that in order to this I would need simultaneously for a new 01904 number to be assigned to the existing physical PSTN line (currently numbered 01904 nnnnnn). And for Plusnet broadband service and the copper PSTN connection to remain uninterrupted."

Has anyone done this and know how to contact the right department at Plusnet?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Porting my Telephone Number to a VOIP provider whilst keep Plusnet broadband

@Steve99x

I suspect that in order to this I would need simultaneously for a new 01904 number to be assigned to the existing physical PSTN line (currently numbered 01904 nnnnnn). And for Plusnet broadband service and the copper PSTN connection to remain uninterrupted."

You are correct. There is such an order , I believe it's called 'renumber and port to voip'.  I seem to recall this was asked some time ago. IIRC I don't believe the PlusNet systems are capable of placing such an order. In reality it needs 2 separate orders , the one above and a corresponding 'import number' to voip to be synchronised. Almost impossible when 2 organisations are involved i.e PN and your voip provider. The ONLY provider I'm aware of that can do (or even attempt!) this, is AAISP. They can do it because they will transfer the number to their own voip platform. Obviously you would have to have your broadband and phone with them prior to the port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve99x

Re: Porting my Telephone Number to a VOIP provider whilst keep Plusnet broadband

Thank you very much. My concern as you might expect is coordinating the actions to avoid errors and downtime

Might it be safer (if at all possible) to do the following steps to the same end:

1) set up Voip with Voip service provider over existing PN broadband connection using some random new geographic 01904 number

2) check that voip service works & is stable (albeit not on the correct number)

3a) port out my current 01904-nnnnnn number to the Voip service provider

3B port in to PN my new 01904 number from Voip service provider

Steps 3a/b are trying to swap phone numbers simultaneously but I suspect that would still result in down time/headaches

Maybe an alternative would be to do this:

1) set up Voip with Voip service provider over existing PN broadband connection using some random new geographic 01904 number

2) use permanent call divert (code 21)  from Plusnet to the new number set up with the VoiP provider.

Surely I'm not the only person who wants to do this?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm afraid your first idea won't work. Step 3a will automatically cease the landline and thus the broadband.

If what you require is to use VoIP to make outgoing  calls with your landline no then then is an alternative.

Localphone https://www.localphone.com will allow you to register any number, that you can demonstrate you ''own' ,to be used as the outgoing CLI. So you could register your PSTN number and use VoIP to make calls as though they came from your landline. Obviously incoming calls would still go to your landline. 

Does that help ? Post back with any questions...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve99x

Thanks again for the insight.

Perhaps this might work...

1) permanent code 21 redirect call from 01904-nnnnnn to new 01904 assigned to VoIp service provider, for incoming calls dialled to 01904-nnnnnn.

2) set up CLI with VoIP provider so that out bound calls appear to come from the 01904-nnnnnn number

If this worked it would have benefit in an emergency (loss of power or IP service) to remove Plusnet code 21 redirect and receive incoming calls on old fashioned PSTN phone.

I just need to factor in the cost of redirecting calls on Plusnet from one 01904 number to another 01904 number; I think the right call plan might include this.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That MIGHT work. I'm not sure if you can change the CLI on the VoIP line if it already has a number associated with it. I've only ever tried it on VoIP accounts that don't have numbers. Worth investigating...

The other option would be to get another line installed and then move the broadband to that as a house move.

Then you'd be free to import the old number to VoIP , ceasing it in the process.

Not sure of the costs involved and any likely downtime