cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline number from Virgin to PlusNet

cobson
Hooked

Porting landline number from Virgin to PlusNet

My VM contract ends on 9/11/17 and services are ceasing on that date.  The BT engineer is currently booked to install the new phone line for Plusnet on 10/11/17.  I want to transfer my phone number over.  As things stand the VM phone line will have ceased the day before BT install the new one - will this mean I won't be able to keep my number ?

If so, what am i best off doing ?  Should I extend my VM services past the 10/11/17, or get an earlier BT installation ?  If the latter, will VM release the number before my contract end date ?

11 REPLIES 11
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Porting landline number from Virgin to PlusNet

Hi there and welcome aboard.

As your telephone number is owned by Virgin Media, in order to import it to the BT network the number will need to be active so my advice would be for us to cancel the orders we've placed and redo them but with your own number.

This will inevitably mean your activation date will change, but with a potential bonus of keeping your number.

However, whilst my initial checks indicate we should be able to import the number, I can't guarantee this will be successful as it largely relies on it being released to us.

I'll be happy to get the ball rolling and keep a watchful eye over this if you'd like me to go ahead?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cobson
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.

When I placed the order with Plusnet over the phone I made it clear that it must be arranged so that my existing number ported over.  He made a note of my number, but when the paperwork was emailed through it gave me a new phone number.  Therefore I would be grateful if you could keep an eye on this for me.

Just to clarify, my VM broadband and TV are ceasing on the 9/11/17 but the VM phone line isn't so it should still be active on the 10/11/17 when the BT line is due to be installed.  All I really need is confirmation that the number will port over.  Is this something you could arrange please ?  I have just spoken to VM and they have confirmed that as long as BT/Plusnet make the request it will transfer over.  I don't mind taking an earlier install date if that makes it easier to do the transfer.

Are you able to see what my number is from the sales notes ?

Thanks again for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

When I placed the order with Plusnet over the phone I made it clear that it must be arranged so that my existing number ported over.  He made a note of my number, but when the paperwork was emailed through it gave me a new phone number. 

Apologies that the order wasn't placed with your telephone number.

I have just spoken to VM and they have confirmed that as long as BT/Plusnet make the request it will transfer over. 

We'll only be able to import the number as part of an order. Once the order completes we can't renumber the line with an already active number. So we'll need to place the order again but this time with your number.

but the VM phone line isn't so it should still be active on the 10/11/17 when the BT line is due to be installed.

Once the order with your number completes, we'd expect the VM line to cease.

Are you able to see what my number is from the sales notes ?

I think so. Does it end in 34?

If so, it looks like the number was just entered into the contact details part of the sales signup and not in the very first stage when checking for availability which may explain why we didn't place the order with your number. Sad

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Let me know if that's the number and I'll get the orders replaced now.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cobson
Hooked

Yes, that is the right number.  Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've got the ball rolling now and I've updated the ticket on your account here

I've taken personal ownership of the ticket so I'll provide an update tomorrow

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cobson
Hooked

I've had an email with a new install date and confirming the correct phone number.  Thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all, I'll continue to keep an eye on this for you.

Are you wanting to keep the earlier appointment date or move the new order to the originally requested date?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cobson
Hooked

The earlier date is fine thanks...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesomeness. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cobson
Hooked

Very grateful for your help in sorting this order out, but I've had to cancel it due to VM making me an offer I couldn't refuse to stay with them...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awww. No problems though. All the best. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet