cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline number from BT to PlusNet

richardjack

Porting landline number from BT to PlusNet

Hi.

My father has a BT landline (his primary phone number) and a Plusnet landline with FTTC broadband service on it. He'd like to terminate the BT service and port the number onto his existing Plusnet line. 

Is this possible, and if so - how do we go about it?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Porting landline number from BT to PlusNet

Hi there.

I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Options on 0800 013 2632 and we'll be able to arrange that. When the number is ported over to us, the line with his current provider should cease automatically.

It's worth noting that if his phone provider ceases the line before we've ported the number over, there's a chance we may not be able to retain the number.

I hope this helps but let us know if you have any questions etc.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re-reading your post, I now realise your father already has a phone line with us so effectively he’s got two lines into his property?

We’d renumber our line using his BT number but to do that the number would need to be ceased.

Here’s the part where we may run into a problem. If the rangeholder of the number isn’t BT then when the number is ceased it’d go back to the provider it first started life on and it’ll be difficult to import it back into the BT network.

But if the rangeholder is BT, we should be able to use the number to renumber our line within 1 working day. It’d cost a one off fee of £36.63.

You can check the rangeholder by putting the number into this webpage and looking at the “Operator”: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richardjack

Thanks Gandalf.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all, let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet