cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline into Plusnet from Vonage

Jkawa

Porting landline into Plusnet from Vonage

Hi,

I am looking at transferring from Virgin Media to Plusnet as my contract has now ended, which is simple enough

However I have my landline through vonage and want to use that number, I understand that this can be done but I don't understand how to process this.

My landline originated from Sky (013324893##) - if this changes things?

Many Thanks

Josh

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Porting landline into Plusnet from Vonage

@Jkawa  Welcome to the forum.

You probably need a Plusnet staffer to tell us how.

My question is why? As I understand it, Vonage is a VoIP outfit so can be used on the Plusnet service. You don’t have to use the Plusnet landline phone line, you can run both. It might be worth looking at the comparative cost of calls before jumping.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jkawa

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Sorry I perhaps haven't explained clearly - the cost of vonage keeps increasing disproportionately and we only make limited calls so for simplicity and cost I want to do away with Vonage and save circa £12/m. However my wife wants to keep our phone number.  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

You probably need a Plusnet staffer to tell us how.

I'd say that's a definite, not a probable.

My landline originated from Sky (013324893##) - if this changes things?

That may well make things difficult. Porting from a landline to voip is fairly straightforward but the other way is tricky.

The number must be available from the exchange you will be connected to, if you've moved house then that may not be possible.

AFAIK the procedure to port from voip, is to order the landline with a new number, then when its active, cease the voip. That will release the number back to the original 'owner' range. After the quarantine period, the new CP then requests the number and renumbers the line. If, the original owner was BT then PN can request it, but if the owner was Sky then Im not sure its possible.

Might be simpler to port the number to a different voip provider such as Sipgate or localphone who offer PAYG accounts. Then just accept a different number for the landline.

What equipment do you use for the voip line ? is it locked to Vonage ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

I agree with @MisterW, on this one. We don't actually support VoIP numbers on our end, and don't have a specified process in which to import them. We'd place the order as we do every order, and leave the port for Openreach to see if they can complete on our behalf. If you'd like to send me a PM with the telephone number and your postcode, I'll have a look to see whether they're associated with the same exchange.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds