cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting home phone to Plusnet

Yet1

Porting home phone to Plusnet

When I placed my order for Plusnet home phone and broadband online it stated that I would be unable to transfer my existing landline number from Virgin - a pain, but I accepted that. On cancelling my contract with Virgin however they told me that the existing number can be transferred across if I prefer, and that it is reasonably straightforward if I have the Plusnet installation date matched with the Virgin cancellation date. I have checked the help and community topics to try to confirm but drawn a blank as to how this can be arranged, and the telephone helpline is not active at present. Can any-one guide me on the correct steps to take?

2 REPLIES 2
davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Re: Porting home phone to Plusnet

@Yet1 I moved from Virgin Media and managed to port the number over. It was Plusnet that did all the work.

VM managed to charge me an  extra month's rental because the phone line didn't transfer away from them until 2 days after their broadband service was disconnected. They said that because the line was still active I hadn't actually terminated my service - even thought it was a screw up on their part that caused it. We're in discussion about that ....... My advice would be to take a note of the date and summary of every call to VM and keep it safe. I would also download copies of your latest bills from them as your online account will be removed on the day your service disconnects. It's not that I don't trust them or anything but - well - I guess I don't trust them one iota !

Interestingly, for those 2 days I had a Plusnet (BT) line and a VM line both operating at the same time on the same number. Don't know how that works but it did.

I certainly don't regret leaving VM. The speeds I'm getting from Plusnet are more than adequate for our household of multiple HD streaming and web browsing users at a cheaper price than VM. 

Good luck.

Yet1

Re: Porting home phone to Plusnet

davel8r

Thanks for your help. Good advice about downloading all the info from VM before it disappears! Will try to get the number shifted over.