Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a number to Plusnet from Voipfone

FIXED
gloryhunter77
Hooked

Porting a number to Plusnet from Voipfone

Hello,

I have just joined Plusnet and would like to port over an active existing landline number I 'own' to my account. The number in question used to be my BT landline number which I ported over to Voipfone upon switching to a Virgin Media broadband only service, after which I made/received calls on this number over the internet.

Now that I've joined Plusnet and am paying for a landline service again I would like to continue using my existing number. However, Plusnet Customer Services inform me it's not possible to have this number ported over. I'm not convinced about this as surely with the port to Voipfone taking place through BT IPEX it should be possible to port the number again upon placing a new request? Voipfone customer services see no reason why this can't happen.

Can someone from Plusnet please contact me by pm so I can share account / number specific details for this to be investigated.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
gloryhunter77
Hooked

Re: Porting a number to Plusnet from Voipfone

I should have added that this a 'normal' 01xxx xxxxxx geographic landline number  assigned to the same address

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @gloryhunter77,

Typically we're unable to transfer numbers over from Voipfone due to the technical implementation of IP Exchange number porting. Before we could even look into attempting it, do you still have the account open with Voipfone that currently owns the number?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@gloryhunter77 I'd just like to add to my colleagues response that if the rangeholder of your telephone number is BT then in theory we should be able to use it even if the number is no longer active unless the number originated on a BT exchange A but the address we're supplying is provided by a BT exchange B.

To find the rangeholder put your number in Here, click Lookup Number then check who the Operator is.

Have you ever had this number from a BT based provider at the address you're currently at?

Having said that, I've also seen cases where a provider will use what's called Remote Call Forwarding(RCF) to provide a phone number to for example an address on Exchange B while the number is provided at Exchange A.

Remote Call Forwarding isn't a feature that we offer.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gloryhunter77
Hooked

Yes the account is still active, and in fact I'm now receiving/making calls on my Voipfone number by connecting the phone to the Plusnet router. I'd rather not do this though but instead would like to have the Voipfone number assigned to my Plusnet landline for a less cluttered set up and save on the monthly Voipfone charge.
gloryhunter77
Hooked

Hi, yes the link you provided shows BT to be the range holder of the number. I can confirm this is the same number I had with BT for the same address.
I hope this means there's a chance of porting the number to Plusnet.
Really appreciate both quick responses to my post.
Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @gloryhunter77 

Could you send me a PM with your landline phone number you're wanting to port in?

I'll then get this investigated further and see if we can find out definitively either way.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gloryhunter77
Hooked

PM'd you
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your private message @gloryhunter77 

I'm sorry for the advice you've been provided regarding the import of your telephone number that's currently active with Voipfone at your address. I've carried out a number import check and it is showing we are able to place a import order.

To keep things documented on your account if you're still happy to go ahead could you just (re)confirm the telephone number by replying to this ticket and also when you'd like the transfer to take place? It'd normally take around 10 working days.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gloryhunter77
Hooked

I've aded a comment to the ticket
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks, I'll reply shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gloryhunter77
Hooked

Many thanks Gandalf. I'm all set with my desired number now having been ported to my Plusnet landline.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool sounds good and no problem.

Feel free to let me know if you need any further assistance Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet