cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port landline number to VOIP provider keeping Plusnet

raj74er

Port landline number to VOIP provider keeping Plusnet

I would like to port my landline number to my VOIP provider, so that I can accept and make calls when I am away from home. 

I want to remain with Plusnet and presumably would need a new lanline landline number, although I would not need one. 

Is this possible and, if so, without a lengthy break in services?

Thank you,

raj74er

10 REPLIES 10
mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Port landline number to VOIP provider keeping Plusnet

I would also like to do this. But my understanding is that if you port your landline number to a VoIP (or any other provider), Plusnet will automatically cancel your landline and broadband services... So you'll be left with nothing.

More hassle than its worth for me.

I think things will have to change at some point in the coming years though. Once the standard ptsn telephone system is retired and everything moved to a VoIP solution, providers will have to make it easier to port numbers without ceasing internet services.

Once everyone has been forced over to SOGEA, the broadband connection won't be tied to a landline number.... So things will have to operate differently then.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

AFAIK it's technically possible to keep an existing number by porting it to a VoIP provider whilst 'simultaneously' keeping your telephone and broadband, but with a new number allocated to it.

There is a process called 'Renumber with Number Export'; A&A ISP will do it under some circumstancesbut whether PlusNet would be able or willing to is another matter.  

Googling might find some further info;

"Renumber with number export"

Renumber with number export

mrmitch85
Rising Star

It's worth an ask, I suppose.

But from what I've read, most (almost all) CPs will not do this... But I think as time goes on, they will have to.
raj74er

Thanks to all for the replies. I know that Openreach now allow this.  https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/services/product-services/number-portability

Both BT and EE now appear to offer FTTC  broadband without phone contract on their websites, although I  not sure how subsequent porting of the number would affect the broadband. Thanks to all who have answered; I am hoping that someone will know what Plusnet will do.

mrmitch85
Rising Star

Well, if you moved to the broadband without a landline (SOGEA) then there wouldn't BE a number to port in the first place.... Your number would be lost. So you can't do it that way around either. Lol.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@raj74er wrote:

... I am hoping that someone will know what Plusnet will do.

@raj74er 

Perhaps you'd better cross your fingers that @Gandalf who usually goes the extra mile (sorry Gandalf Smiley ) will happen along with an explanation.

mrmitch85
Rising Star

Do let me know if you manage to find anything out, as I might be looking to do this to if possible.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There is a process called 'Renumber with Number Export'; A&A ISP will do it under some circumstancesbut whether PlusNet would be able or willing to is another matter.  

@RobPN  is correct, but AFAIK none of the major ISP's (including PlusNet) have systems capable of handling the process. Only A&A will do it, and only if you move to their VOIP product.

Both BT and EE now appear to offer FTTC  broadband without phone contract on their websites, although I  not sure how subsequent porting of the number would affect the broadband.

According to BT's website 'If you have a home phone number, you’ll lose it by placing an order for broadband without a landline service'. You would have to port the number to voip before placing an order, since the number must be active when ported. As has been said above, that would automatically cease the landline and broadband. So there would be a significant break in service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrmitch85
Rising Star

So I other words, without cancelling your entire broadband service and starting from scratch (Which is not an option when you're WFH), It won't be possible until the CPs get their act together with the 'renumber with number export) stuff sorted out...

.... I don't expect they'll be in any rush to do this, because, well... Call revenue!
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

It's probably less to do with call revenues, and more to do with demand.  There would likely be a cost to implement this (changes to systems, training support staff etc...), and this isn't something that's asked for very often.

I can see the possibility of people wanting to do this more people get FTTP and the decommissioning of analog voice server, though even then I'd think the vast majority of people would just go with whatever service their ISP provide anyway.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.