cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port existing PlusNet landline number to a VOIP provider

markh119

Port existing PlusNet landline number to a VOIP provider

I want to port my existing PlusNet landline number to a VOIP provider, but want to retain my PlusNet FTTC broadband service.

Is this something that can be arranged?

I understand there will probably be some disruption to my service when the migration would take place.

If it can happen, what would be the process from PlusNet's perspective?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Port existing PlusNet landline number to a VOIP provider

@markh119  I don't think you can do that with Plusnet, if you port your number to VOIP your phone line will be ceased so you lose the FTTC broadband connection.

They can do it for customers on the FTTP trial because that doesn't need a phone line for the FTTP service. But they are not selling FTTP anymore even if it is available.

Some ISPs  such as Andrews & Arnold offer a line purely for broadband with no phone service on it so a port to voip is possible, however they are not a cheap as chips mass market supplier like Plusnet so will be expensive.😁

Edit: You can of course set up Voip on a different number, I use Sipgate, much cheaper calls than Plusnet.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@markh119 Is this something that can be arranged?

I must stress that I'm not PlusNet staff and so cant give an official answer, but as I understand it, No it isnt.

Porting a number to VOIP will cease the landline and thus the broadband as well. So your contract would be cancelled, ETC's may apply and you'd have to reorder a landline and broadband on a new contract. There would bound to be downtime, probably at least a week. 

Given that you have to have a landline for FTTC, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with VOIP? If it's purely to reduce call costs for outgoing calls, whilst presenting your current number as the CLI, then that's possible without porting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markh119

@RealAleMadrid Thanks for the quick reply. I was just wanting to use a VOIP service for the functionality they provide but wanted to retain my existing phone number.

So I either go through the pain of ceasing my current contract and porting my existing number, or just use a new number from a VOIP provider.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mark.

markh119

@MisterW Thanks to you also for a quick reply.

All I want to do is use a VOIP provider for the extra functionality but don't really want to change my landline number.

I suppose I could just forward all incoming calls to the VOIP number to mitigate any downtime on the broadband service.

Are you saying you can present your current CLI on a VOIP service?

Thanks,

Mark. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@markh119 Are you saying you can present your current CLI on a VOIP service?

Yes, I currently do just that. I use localphone (https://www.localphone.com/) but I would be surprised if other providers dont have similar facilities. Basically they allow you to register a landline or mobile number to be used as the outgoing CLI on voip calls made through them. You have to provide some evidence that you 'own' the number (I think it's actually just a callback). In my case I just have a PAYG account with them as I dont make lots of calls.

I have a Gigaset dual (landline/voip) DECT phone, its setup such that outgoing calls go via Localphone, except for certain calls e.g emergency, 0800 and calls to other PlusNet subscribers I know. So basically, any chargeable calls go out on voip but with my landline CLI presented. So any outgoing calls cost me 0.6p/min to landlines or 1.8p/min to mobiles. Incoming calls come in on the landline as normal but in my case the phone is the same physical handset.

In fact we do similarly in the office on a totally voip PBX . Our incoming voip trunks and DDIs are supplied by one voip provider whereas we use localphone for outgoing (with the main switchboard no as CLI) because their call rates are cheaper.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

It should be possible to do it without significant downtime. The gaining provider (VoIP porting-in) requests the port and thus the line to cease on a certain day, in the same way a homemover moving out and taking their number would.

And you arrange a new connection to take place on the same day, in the same way a homeowner moving in would. And because the new connection and the previous connection are both Plusnet, Plusnet should be able to do this internally without 'returning' the line to Openreach and pulling it back for reprovision.

PSTN should be back on in a few hours, DSL by midnight, and number port to VoIP go live overnight.

Should does not mean will, of course.

Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Another option may be to use an Analogue Terminal Adapter (ATA) with a FXO (foreign exchange office) port , which plugs into your analogue phone line and extends it by VoIP to another location, eg if you are wanting to answer calls at another location.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting in touch @markh119 

I can confirm that by porting your landline number to another network this will cease your physical phone line and broadband with us effectively terminating the contract and closing down your account. 

What @Owain_2's suggested initially is an interesting option and in theory it should work as long as the lead time for the port is greater than 10 working days at the point your new account is created.

When we place the 'working line takeover' order on the back of your new account, this should be able to be matched to whatever cease date already exists, as long as the cease is more than 10 working days into the future, because working line takeover orders bear a minimum lead time of 10 working days.

This will effectively mean that your services are stopped on the cease date and restarted under a different number.

I can't guarantee that this will work though nor that it won't go horribly wrong.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markh119

@Gandalf Many thanks for your update. Fully appreciate there would be a disruption to my broadband service. I will have to have a think about this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem, let us know if you need any further help

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet