Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Landline number when in contract

bestgear
Grafter

Port Landline number when in contract

Guys

I am looking to port my landline number when in contract with Plusnet.

I do not want to cancel my landline service with Plusnet - just continue but with a new PSTN number assigned.

Is this possible?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Port Landline number when in contract

Hello,

In theory it is possible but it’s not a service we offer or that’s built into our systems to provide. If you port your number to another provider, this will cease both the phone line and broadband. 

If you’re in contract as you say, this would also incur early termination fees as it’d trigger your account to close down automatically. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Anoush I think the Op just wants a different landline number, I thought that could quite easily be arranged..... probably with a price to pay to do it.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

While we can change the landline number for £36.63 that would cease the existing number so it can’t be ported out unless the new provider uses the same network as the rangeholder of the number and even then it may not be possible for the new provider to pick up the ceased number depending on their processes. 

I believe that the OP may be referring to the ‘renumber with number export’ feature that Openreach offer but we don’t provide. 

Having said that if they’re just wanting a new number and not to keep the original number then we can just renumber the line for a fee. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
bestgear
Grafter

Hi

Thanks for the comments guys.

I want to keep my Plusnet service, but port the current number out to another provider (who state they can do this) and then Plusnet assign me a new number to the existing service.

Question is - how do I start the process and what do I ask plusnet for?

David 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Unfortunately while you can port your number out to another provider, there’s nothing we can do to prevent your service from ceasing with us. 

bestgear
Grafter

Thanks Anoush

Thats a big shame that you cant support "renumber with number export" - as that leaves me with the only option of leaving.

Shame - I have been with Force9 and then Plusnet for years.

David

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I apologise for the disappointment. Unfortunately it’s largely a system limitation (as well as an offering as it’s not a service we offer).

Theres always an option of installing a new line on a second account and once that’s up and running, to port your existing number out. 

bestgear
Grafter

Hi Anoush

I already have a second FTTC with another provider, and no spare pairs into the house, otherwise that was a great idea!

I guess I can port the number, effectively ceasing the service and if offered a good deal, come back to plusnet the next day. 

Bit of a faff, but would work.

David 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@bestgear wrote:

I guess I can port the number, effectively ceasing the service and if offered a good deal, come back to plusnet the next day. 

Don't forget about possible Early Termination charges if you're still in contract and you'll probably have to have a new account name when you come back ( although @Anoush will correct me if I'm wrong there ).

Are you wanting to port the number to voip by any chance as there might be other ways around the port ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bestgear
Grafter

MrW.....yes, moving to SIP trunk rather than FXO,,, my ears are open!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Some voip providers will let you present your landline number as the outgoing cli. I know localphone ( https://www.localphone.com/ ) do. I use them at home with a gigabit voip/pstn dual phone. We also use them with the office pbx, we have incoming sip trunks from A&A but use outgoing via localphone because they are cheaper , presenting the main A & A pbx number as the cli.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ah no problem, in that case if you time it well, you should be able to port your number out ceasing your service with us and sign back up when we’ve got a good deal on.

In theory that pair should be easily restarted and broadband provided back on the line. Normally takes around 7 days, or potentially longer if it’s fibre due to engineer availability.

@MisterW is correct that you’ll incur early termination fees if you’re in contract and a brand new account.