cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor sounds quality when ringing work from home - but not the other way.....

FIXED
harryw66
Grafter

Poor sounds quality when ringing work from home - but not the other way.....

Hi all,

I have Plusnet phone + fibre. The Fibre modem router is connected direct to the Fibre wall socket in the hallway.

The DECT cordless basestation is also connected directly to the same wall socket in the hallway.

No other phones connected to any sockets in the house - as they are all DECT phones.

When my wife rings me at work the line quality is quite bad - my wife's voice is quite muffled and I can hear low level background noise - and she finds it quite hard to hear me. I certainly cannot use a headset and have to use the handset.

However, if I hang up and ring her back immediately then the sound quality is find, her voice is nice and clear and she can here me clearly too...

I work for a large multinational company - so I don't how the calls get routed etc. I also sometimes spend a few days on client site and a similar thing happens there too. When my wife rings me at the client site desk phone - poor sound quality. When I ring back from the same desk phone - all is fine.

Also, if I ring the home phone from my mobile the sound quality is fine.

Does this make any sense? Is there a fault with the line or routing by Plusnet?

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Poor sounds quality when ringing work from home - but not the other way.....

Fix

It sounds like your employer runs a large SIP-based internal phone system with LCR, and whatever provider plusnet is using to peer with your company's phone provider has issues. Could be codec configurations, SBC misconfigurations, or (depending on your company's PBX configuration) a dodgy FXO perhaps!

It could also be that your company may be using a different route and/or provider for different categories of outbound calls, and so your problem 'goes away' because your call's routing along a different path to plusnet to reach your home number. You would need to perform end-to-end call tests in both directions in concert with your company's service desk so they can run SIP traces and analyse the dialplans, see if there's anything obvious cropping up.

If they're using a wholesale SIP trunk then it could even be a problem further along in their upstream provider's network - which may be affecting many people in the same way, except nobody's bothered to bring it to their attention (or understands why the problem is occuring, simply shrugging and tolerating it).

harryw66
Grafter

Re: Poor sounds quality when ringing work from home - but not the other way.....

Thanks. Guess I will just have to live with it and keep calling the missus back.

Cheers