Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet home phone and BBYW option 1 on an additional line

techguy
Grafter

Plusnet home phone and BBYW option 1 on an additional line

Hi
I live at home with my parents but pay them for an additional line to support ADSL (as we have a monitored alarm system that doesn't play well with ADSL) and BT wouldn't allow me to be billed directly for the second line.
Now am giving some very serious thought to moving the additional line to Plusnet as it exists purely to support ADSL.
Now looking at the essential package it looks as though I can save some cash but I'd like to use option 1 with it, when I do the maths on this it would work out cheaper to maintain my current arrangement of £21 a month, is there something I'm missing?
Can plusnet take control of an additional line?
16 REPLIES 16
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Plusnet home phone and BBYW option 1 on an additional line

I'm pretty sure Plusnet can, as I think they would just see it as any other phone line.  If you took the Evenening and Weekends Home Phone (£9.99) and BBYW Option 1 (£9.99) then it would be £19.98, so cheaper than your current £21, or am I missing something?
Phil
Edit: to correct URL

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That's what I thought Phil.
techguy
Grafter

Thanks folks
If a member of PN staff can confirm this then I will seriously look at it.
Would be able useful to know if I need to ask my folks to do anything (they won't move from BT) as while I will obviously tell them, BT might think the line is being slammed (this was done before by a well known utility provider and it took them a month to get it back to BT)
Cheers
techguy.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

When I moved my line from BT to Plusnet, I signed up online, then got a letter a few days later from BT saying they where sorry that I was going, and told me how to go back to them etc...  I didn't respond, so on the date Plusnet told me I would be migrated that all happened, then I got a final bill from BT, and have been happily here since!
Worth clarifying though if you are moving only 1 line of 2 that is on a single BT bill.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

Hi Mitch,
Could you not take Plusnet Essential, but with an additional GB of usage pre paid, so it would cost £17.99 instead?
Or is it the evening calls that you were looking at rather than the additional usage?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

James, do you mean he could take Plusnet Essential ...?
Phil

Not applicable

James' idea seems the most logical solution as it looks as if the line won't be used for calls if it is purely to support ADSL.
BTW where else would you get staff telling you of the most economic solution rather than the one that costs the most?
Forgot to say that I had a friend like mum and dad - wouldn't stray away from BT. Now she is happily using Homephone Anytime+ and the thing that persuaded her was that PN is owned by BT. Might be worth mentioning that to m&d.
Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Yes actually James I could and sounds like a plan, I dont really care which plan so long as it saves me some money as I dont use the line for calls at all, just to support the ADSL and use my mobile to make any necessary calls but not really a phone as I spend a good part of my working life answering them!
Now then, if I were to go ahead, would I just place the order via the member centre 9that is, request a downgrade to essential and then tinker purcahse the additional bandwidth?
Would I need to ask my folks to do anything as regards BT (as I said when I first got DSL they did enquire whether BT were prepared to set up an account and  bill me directly for the line but they said no because it was the same premises and the entry on the phone bill is additional line.
Would this cause a problem?
James
Grafter

Hi Mitch,
You would just need to log into the member centre and hit the upgrade button so that you can request a downgrade.
Perfectly logical Smiley
I wouldn't expect there to be any problems at all.
techguy
Grafter

I'll talk it over with them tonight.
Thanks and yes definitely, don't find many telcos advising you on economical solutions unless you have an exceedingly large business account.
Have been bowled over by the excellent service I have received since joining and by the helpfulness of the plusnet community too.
Hence the reason for me looking to transfer this service to plusnet to make my financial management a little easier too.
10/10 all round
techguy
Grafter

Well I spoke to Mum and she is in agreement so have raised the question (thought such things would be automated to leave the pros to deal with more important stuff)
Anyhow we shall see how it all goes.
techguy
Grafter

Just worked it out
Will save about 43 quid a year.
Cracking
How long does the transfer take (am still waiting for the question to be actioned)
James
Grafter

I've just replied to your ticket.
The Home Phone order will take a couple of weeks.
Let me know if you need any help.
techguy
Grafter

Thanks James
Hope you didn't take my comment earlier as to mean 'oi, why haven't I been dealt with yet' am just keen to get it sorted.
Have to deal with issues raised via tickets myself at work so know stuff takes time.
Nice to be dealing with a 'human' company.rather than a bunch of automatons.