cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet can't port my number from TalkTalk

hadiem1

Plusnet can't port my number from TalkTalk

I was told Plusnet can port my number over from TalkTalk to Plusnet once my line becomes active. Was given a temporary number until they get my old number back. My line became active on 14/02/2019, today (15/02/2019) I was sent email and SMS text stating my old number was ported and I can use my landline with old number. When I rang my old number it says its disconnected. I called TalkTalk and they said my old number was released back to BT. Then I called Plusnet, they said BT has the number but it can't be ported apparently because of something to do with the exchange to where my house is. This whole situation is a mess, my old number is of utmost importance and its a dealbreaker if I have to move to a new number. I was under the impression that if I don't move home I have the right to keep my number when I change provider.

Please Help.

10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet can't port my number from TalkTalk

Hi there, 

I'm really sorry to see that the number port request didn't go as planned. Unfortunately it isn't something that's guaranteed but we'll always endeavour to get that resolved. 

Sometimes we do need to resubmit such a request which I can see has been done in this case as of yesterday and we'll follow things up on that with you soon. 

Here's a direct link to the ticket where that's been documented on your account: 

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=187537067

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@adamwalker wrote:
Unfortunately it isn't something that's guaranteed but we'll always endeavour to get that resolved. 

I would be interested to know how this squares with this  https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/number-port...

Interesting extracts from the letter referenced in this document:

Consumers are entitled to keep their telephone numbers regardless of who they choose as their
service supplier. This is a legislative requirement, and is enshrined in Ofcom’s General Conditions of
Entitlement, which apply to all telecoms providers.

Behaviour in breach of the General Conditions, such as trying to block or delay numbers from being
ported, thereby preventing customers from switching away to rival providers, is unacceptable and
unlawful.2 Ofcom has enforcement powers in this area. So, earlier this year, we took enforcement action against GW Telecom Ltd, resulting in a significant fine.3 We also have a current live
investigation into Cloud M Ltd’s provision of number portability.4 We will continue to consider taking
enforcement action into issues concerning number portability, in accordance with Ofcom’s
Enforcement Guidelines.

@hadiem1

Maybe a complaint to Ofcom if this is not quickly resolved? Of course it could be either Talk Talk or Plusnet (or both!) who's to blame.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I understand, it's worth keeping in mind that it's a two-way process between providers so problems can ocurr in the number being released by the old provider, as seems to have happened in this instance. We've resubmitted the port request for yourself as we're endeavouring to get this resolved for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hadiem1

I don't know what happened between the two providers behind the scene but all I just want is to have my old number back because it's really important as I have it registered literally everywhere from insurance to phone contracts. Not to mention everyone who have my old number what if they're calling I wouldn't be able to know as I am in the black now cos of this situation. Really disappointed.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We're currently waiting for feedback on the new request to port the number over which was submitted yesterday. We expect to be able to update you on that within the next few days. Here's a direct link to the tifcket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=187537067 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hadiem1

Really disappointed with Plusnet and I thought my previous provider was bad enough (Talktalk). It's been 11 days now and I still don't have my old number ported. Ofcom says if I don't move home I have the right to keep my number when switching to a new provider. Nothing but utterly disappointed with Plusnet.

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Hi @hadiem1, thanks for getting in touch.

I do apologise for the experience you have had with the porting of your number. I've taken a look into this and provided an update here

Let us know if you need anything else.

Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
Daniel28012
Rising Star

I just hope you get a bill because some customers haven't been billed for 5 to 6 months. Brighthouse treats there customers better.
hadiem1

For anyone wishing to switch to Plusnet I suggest don't because the experience I received being with Plusnet so far has been nothing but utter [-Censored-]. I was told that I would be able to keep my number but they were incompetent at their efforts and had made me change my number against my wish. They really [-Censored-] me over. I was aware that keeping the same number would and should be fulfilled as customer request if not moving home, per Ofcom regulations. Now I'm having to disseminate the new number to anyone and everyone that had my old number. Please avoid switching to this company as you might have to go through the same ordeal as I had. I will advertise about this Thread to all my friends and relatives so that they become aware of what a terrible company this is.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@hadiem1,

Be careful with your swearing. I know you're annoyed but watch your language. 

I've had a look at the history of the porting just to see if anything was missed or if there is anything we can do and unfortunately there isn't.

It's worth noting we have already provided this information previously on the account tickets but I'll explain it again for you.

We've transferred your line across from TalkTalk and that has transferred fine but the number is assigned to a different exchange. 

So with TalkTalk they served your line from Exchange A, but your number was on Exchange B this is a process called remote call forwarding. On the BT Network this isn't a possibility as the number and exchange have to match. 

This is the reason why the port of the number is being refused and rejected.

We cannot do anything in this situation and if you're unhappy I'm sorry to say but your main issue (the inability to transfer the number) is with with TalkTalk, so please ensure you raise a complaint with them too.

It could be possible for them to move the number across to the other exchange but if I'm honest I don't know what their ability is. I would guess it's unlikely and it was probably done this way because they didn't have any available numbers on Exchange A so used Exchange B to get you up and running.