cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet call protect

Jonel2

Plusnet call protect

Plusnet Call Protect is useful, but would be greatly improved by adding the following:

1. The ability to set the call parameters online.

2. The ability to select a wide variety of options, including excluding everything other than calls from 'whitelisted' numbers.

11 REPLIES 11
MymsMan
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet call protect

Unfortunately the product supplied by PlusNet is very basic and other suppliers including Sky provide a much better product including online maintenance and call filtering to protect against spammers that change numbers and use unknown numbers

miketheb

I would be very interested in hearing how Call Protect is working, how effective it appears to be and the numbers of calls involved. I have had continual calls saying "We are calling from Talk Talk, blah,blah,blah" (since TT I have moved to Sky and then Plusnet, so their info is years out of date) Its can be fun stringing them along if you have some spare time. 

They spoof UK phone numbers which seem to be chosen at random, so I doubt sending the calls to divert is that effective. I know one of the numbers is a well known number, so why that was not blocked is strange. How up to date is the Call Protect list?

I think Plusnet need a brutal approach to blocking numbers. Such as enabling users to select "Brutal Call Protect" but giving the user the option to continue the call if they really want to call ~ so put on divert but saying if you are a real caller press this number which then puts them through. Then store that caller as "OK", if not Divert until cancelled.

There must be a answer as its a pain in the backside speaking to Mr or Mrs Talk Talk.

Must go the phones ringing 🙂

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The answer is to buy a phone fitted with BT call guardian such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Cordless-Nuisance-Answering-Black/dp/B0787H2X6Q/ref=dp_ob_title....

I have had an earlier model for at least 3 years and not received one nuisance call over that time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MymsMan
Dabbler

It is very difficult to tell how well Call Protect is working since without a web interface there is no way of knowing whether n calls from xyz have been blocked.  I have never had any messages left on the 1572 voicemail.

What I do know is that I still do get calls from a range of different numbers with recorded messages offering me a 'Double glazing Windows scrappage scheme' or from 'your ISP' saying that internet is about to be cut off.

Where Sky's service is far superior to PlusNet's is that as well as a web interface for control it includes an optional Call filtering service that intercepts the incoming call unless it is on a Star list (whitelisted) and requires the caller to say their name and press a specified key.  If they did that the phone rings and you are asked whether to accept or decline the call.  This was 100% effective at blocking spam callers though a bit off-putting to some genuine callers who had not yet been added to the Star list.

I know I can buy phones that do the same thing but if one service provider can provide the function free of charge shouldn't all companies strive to offer the same level of function without needing to replace my phone.

Sky's service is far from perfect, one bug I reported shortly after joining was still unfixed when I left a year later, but it is far superior to the PlusNet offering.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I have the latest version of the phone mentioned by @baldrick and apart from receivig no junk calls it handles witheld numbers superbly.
Jonel2

For the first six months we had almost no nuisance calls. Now we get about one a week. I have even found calls getting through when the number is withheld, which means that the system simply is not working.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Jonel2,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Have you been able to see if this issue occurs using another handset?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Jonel2

It occurs with all the fixed line telephones in the house, none of which are cordless.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Have you tried manually adding the numbers that are calling you to the block list?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Jonel2

What do you think. Do I seem stupid to you? You are wasting my time.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Jonel2,

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with @Gandalf's response and I can assure you that he does not think that you are stupid - whenever a customer experiences problems with Call Protect we always ask if they have tried adding the numbers manually as this is something that is often overlooked.

Thank you for confirming that you have tried manually adding the numbers. I'm sorry that Call Protect hasn't been filtering these calls and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. To try and resolve this issue, I've placed an order to remove call protect from your line and once this has completed I will add it back on. I will send you a ticket to let you know when I've added it back on. Please let us know if this issue persists after this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team