cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet call protect doesn’t do anything for me

Rich28
Dabbler

Plusnet call protect doesn’t do anything for me

Like many others I’m plagued by nuisance calls.  I’ve done a number of things to try and stop them including having ‘caller display’ and ‘call protect’.  So, when the phone rings I look at the displayed number and if I consider it could be a nuisance call its ignored.  That bit works, but what happens next doesn’t.

I then dial 1572 to access the call protect feature and the only option it offers of adding a number to the blacklist, required me to have answered the nuisance call I just ignored. What’s the purpose of that?  That nuisance caller could call me again and again, and if I get it right, if I continue to ignore that number there’s absolutely no way of adding it to the call protect blacklist. 

Its bit of a pain but it transpires my phone can do this – it maintains a list of the numbers it’s received and I can add up to 10 of these to my own blacklist.  Until PlusNet and/or BT can be bothered to refine the call protect feature I think that’s the best thing I can do..

7 REPLIES 7
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Plusnet call protect doesn’t do anything for me

Hi @Rich28, the call protect feature does indeed require you to answer the call before being able to add this to the block list, I'm really sorry that you don't wish to answer the calls and can completely understand the inconvenience in this.

Though we have no plans to share on changes to the feature, I'll certainly ensure your feedback is passed on with regards to this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Rich28
Dabbler

Thanks for your sympathetic response @LaurenB . I note you confirming there's a need to answer a nuisance call to then get call protect to block that number, yet to answer any nuisance call is utter madness and will only result in me being targeted by even more nuisance callers so that's just not going to happen!!  Though from what you then going on to mention I'm guessing that PlusNet may be reviewing this feature.  I keep my fingers crossed that improvements are made soon to call protect and this reflects the comments I've made here.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Why not just go out a spend a relatively small sum on a phone that includes BT Call Guardian. I have had one for years and during this time not one nuisance call has got through and without the need for any intervention on my part.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rich28
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestion @Baldrick1.

I'm almost tempted to do what you say but why should I buying anything from BT?  Its by far the largest phone operator in the UK, makes substantial profits, and really BT and its subsidiary activities including PlusNet should be offering all customers a better level of protection from nuisance calls (without them needing to acquire or depend upon special handsets, like BT Call Guardian). I'm hoping that BT and PlusNet get this...      

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Rich28,

I'm sorry that you've found that our call protect feature doesn't meet your needs. This is a free call feature and many customers find that it dramatically cuts down on the number of nuisance calls that they receive, though there are some limitations when compared to call blockers that are built into handsets. There are several different manufacturers that make call blocker handsets so you wouldn't necessarily need to have a BT handset if you did decide to go down that route.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Rich28 wrote
:..BT and its subsidiary activities including PlusNet should be offering all customers a better level of protection from nuisance calls (without them needing to acquire or depend upon special handsets, like BT Call Guardian). I'm hoping that BT and PlusNet get this...      

Good luck with that!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rich28
Dabbler

Thanks @EmilyD , but if you read my initial post you would gather that I’ve already got a handset that can blacklist numbers. I continue to use this as personally, and this meant as constructive feedback, I don’t think me having Plusnet call protect has made a blind bit of difference to the volume of unwanted calls I get.  But this isn't just about me, many individuals receive unwanted nuisance calls and I maintain that BT and PlusNet could be doing considerably more to resolve this national issue.