cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet asking for an extra £49 because the previous resident used sky ???

lizwm
Dabbler

Plusnet asking for an extra £49 because the previous resident used sky ???

We recently placed an order for plusnet phone and broadband for a house we have just completed on but not yet moved into.
The house is only 18 months old and has the new style open reach external NTE and the previous owner had his telephone service with sky which he terminated and paid up when he left.
We gave all this info on line during the plusnet sign up procedure and paid a years line rental up front.
Tonight we get a call on the mobile at 9PM from plusnet asking for an extra £49 because the line used to be with sky and was an MPF line and therefore we need a new line Huh
The openreach / BT cable is there so I don't see why I should have to pay £49 extra because the previous owner used sky. Has anyone else experienced this?
Its a pity because the sign up procedure was very straightforward and the whole deal worked out competitively over a year but it kind of sours the milk if they think i should pay £49 because of something that had nothing to do with me !!
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet asking for an extra £49 because the previous resident used sky ???

It doesn't seem to be correct
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html
I am sure a member of the Digital Care Team will be along to comment in themorning
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

MPF = LLU  Cool
That's RPM to you!!
lizwm
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
It doesn't seem to be correct
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html
I am sure a member of the Digital Care Team will be along to comment in themorning

thanks
lizwm
Dabbler

Quote from: RPMozley
MPF = LLU  Cool

Sorry for being thick but can you explain what that means please  Embarrassed
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

LLU aka local loop unbundled, means that possibly the connect for adsl was using sky's exchange equipment and not BT's.  It requires a new connection as its not possible to migrate from LLU to an ISP that resells the BT connection, like plusnet.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Sorry Gus, it does not require a new connection. The BT line is there. Yes it may be LLU but that is a simple jumpering job at the exchange,
Openreach don't charge Communication providers £49 for doing a 2 minute jumpering job and whatever they do charge is usually absorbed by the provider.
Apart from which, Plusnet's legal terms make it quite clear an LLU transfer is free. See the section "Connection charges for Plusnet Talk Services".
Judging by the number of provisioning problems we are seeing posted on the forum of  late, it seems that there is some shortfall in the level of training in that department!
x47c
Grafter

I'll bet Sky have not actually released the line....naughty boys
So it looks to Plusnet as if it is a new provision
Anotherone
Champion

Sky have no choice, Plusnet needs to do some kicking (I bet the number wasn't issued by Sky and in any event if that was the case, that's a new number, not a new provide, and AFAIK Sky still are not allowed to block it.)
lizwm
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Sorry Gus, it does not require a new connection. The BT line is there. Yes it may be LLU but that is a simple jumpering job at the exchange,
Openreach don't charge Communication providers £49 for doing a 2 minute jumpering job and whatever they do charge is usually absorbed by the provider.
Apart from which, Plusnet's legal terms make it quite clear an LLU transfer is free. See the section "Connection charges for Plusnet Talk Services".
Judging by the number of provisioning problems we are seeing posted on the forum of  late, it seems that there is some shortfall in the level of training in that department!

Thanks for that, it did seem daft to me. As you say the line is physically  there from the house to the exchange, if sky can 'take it over' and not give it back then it makes a mockery of competition in telecoms.
I'll see what plusnet have to say today.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately the charge is correct, if the line was active and transferred to us from LLU then there wouldn't be a charge, but because the line is completely cancelled that's where the fee comes in.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Surely that is "Start a stopped line" also free. The wires are there aren't they, the OP has said that the previous owner was on Sky. So the cable must be there to the  exchange.
Edit: @lizwm,  does the line have dial tone on it at the moment? If so dial 17070and see what it says. Also dial 150 and see which phone company is on the end.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Surely that is "Start a stopped line"

If it was connected to BT at the exchange it would be. Start of stop is free because there is no physical work required and that's why lines are usually active within 24 hours. This is different as the line isn't connected to BT equipment, so it needs someone to go out to it.
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry to disagree with you Jojo and I've just put an edit on my previous post.
If it was a transfer from LLU then that requires re-jumpering at the exchange for which Plusnet make no change.
If the line is dead because the jumpers have been removed, that is starting a ceased line in my book, still jumpering at the exchange.
If an OpenReach engineer has to come of put a new cable from a DP to a house, that is a new provide foir which you charge £49.
In case my edit was missed -
Edit: @lizwm,   does the line have dial tone on it at the moment? If so dial 17070 and see what it says. Also dial 150 and see which phone company is on the end.
lizwm
Dabbler

Sorry to disagree with you Jojo and I've just put an edit on my previous post.
If it was a transfer from LLU then that requires re-jumpering at the exchange for which Plusnet make no change.
If the line is dead because the jumpers have been removed, that is starting a ceased line in my book, still jumpering at the exchange.
If an OpenReach engineer has to come of put a new cable from a DP to a house, that is a new provide foir which you charge £49.
In case my edit was missed -
Edit: @lizwm,   does the line have dial tone on it at the moment? If so dial 17070 and see what it says. Also dial 150 and see which phone company is on the end.

Unfortunately we don't live at the house yet and its quite a way away. I think it was dead when I plunged a phone in last week but I'm not 100% sure.
I very much appreciate your help and I can try to get my daughter to go over and check but it seems a bit academic if plusnet are insisting on making this charge. I guess I'm going to have to start comparing providers again  Roll_eyes