cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet VOIP parameters

machare
Rising Star

Plusnet VOIP parameters

Do Plusnet tell their VOIP customers the connection parameters for their Plusnet VOIP service so that they can use their own equipment?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Plusnet VOIP parameters

More importantly - do Plusnet offer a VoIP service? I'm not aware that they do.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I suspect some wires may have become crossed in another thread.  Wink

@machare 

PN used to offer a VoIP service some years ago before it was discontinued.  They started off running it themselves before handing it over to Gradwell.

Account details were always available to enable you to use your own equipment as in those days AFAIR there was no other option!

machare
Rising Star

@RobPN Your right about the origin of my question.  😊

I am really wondering what they will do when they start their FTTP service in the near future.  I would certainly find it helpful if unlike BT they tell customers their VOIP connection parameters if they want to know.   It is interesting what they did in the FTTP trial.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@machare wrote:

...  I would certainly find it helpful if unlike BT they tell customers their VOIP connection parameters if they want to know.  

@machare 

I suspect BT withhold the account details for their new digital voice service due to security concerns.  For example, a VoIP account can be hijacked by a third party with unwanted consequences for the customer, e.g. financial and privacy issues.

The thread linked below on the thinkbroadband forum covers the issue far better than I possibly could.  It can be read without signing up to that forum, but it's easier to follow if you're logged in and choose 'threaded' mode rather than 'flat'.

BT FTTP With Digital Voice - Alternative to Smart Hub 2

machare
Rising Star

@RobPN     Thanks I wonder if Plusnet will have an FTTP only service with no phone.  That would allow me to cease my telephone number, I could use my own router and my existing VOIP services.