cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Prices vs BT Price Increases from 04 Jan 2014

Spruance
Grafter

Plusnet Prices vs BT Price Increases from 04 Jan 2014

I currently have my broadband from Plusnet and voice calls with BT but in view of BT's announced price increases from 4th January 2014 I am considering switching the landline to Plusnet as well.
I use BT's 1571 service which was previously free but is now going to be £1.75/month with 'enhanced message storage options' and I also use Caller ID which is also going up to £1.75/month from a prior free option unless of course I sign up for 12 months in which case it remains free. BT's line rental is also increasing.  Sad
As far as I can see from Plusnet's current tariff (dated 1st Oct 2013) 1571 is still an entirely free service, and Caller ID comes out at a far more reasonable £0.99/month. PN's line rental is also cheaper than BT's current tariff let alone the increase.
Hence my question is....
Will Plusnet be following (parent company)  BT's lead on 1571 and Caller ID pricing or will the present structure be maintained?
Also, what do I need to do to make the switch? Can I do it all online via the Member Centre product change option?
4 REPLIES 4
Hobbit
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Prices vs BT Price Increases from 04 Jan 2014

I am in the exact same position as you with having a BT landline and a Plusnet broadband account.
After speaking to someone on the tech support line I was advised to contact the sales dept directly on the phone.
I did this and a very helpful lady talked me through all the options and offered me a very good discount on my existing broadband when I asked what offers there were (similar to the new sign up rate). I also opted for the line rental saver (£131.88) and paid via card over the phone there and then. I took the inclusive calls option for £5 and the 99p a month caller ID too.
Needed to agree to 12 month contract but would have done that with the LRS anyway be it with BT or Plusnet. She also said to check if any other offers were available in 12 months time just in case, rather than just renewing again for 12 months.
Switch over is tomorrow (3rd) and I don't envisage any problems.
Got an e-mail and a a help question answer detailing all the charges agreed.
All seemed like a really good deal to me:)
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks for the info Hobbit.  Smiley
I delayed making a final decision as I wanted to be absolutely sure on the BT price increases (just confirmed from a September 2013 MailOnline article) and was also toying with the idea of Fibre Optic but I think I will wait a little longer before going down that route. After all I already get around 13.2Mbps download on ADSL2+ so I can't complain at that.
I have often compared PN and BT prices but the difference has always been too close to call. I am also not really bothered about BT's Sports TV channels although I was interested to note that these are also available as an add-on from PN if needed so that's something to bear in mind should BT sign up to a sport I am interested in. Smiley
Have been with PN for broadband since 2008 and always been very impressed with the customer service side of the operation so will give them a ring now about switching the landline over.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Note that while basic 1571 is free the enhanced one isn't
Then again the enhanced one was always chargeable on BT
Spruance
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim.
Even so. the PN package is much better value for money from my perspective.
Just finished my call with PN Sales and also managed to get a 'deal' on the broadband element of my contract so thanks again to Hobbit for the heads up. Smiley