cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Phone package for those in Nothern Ireland

mike-139
Dabbler

Plusnet Phone package for those in Nothern Ireland

I've just received an email from Plusnet extolling the virtues of its phone package - Evening and Weekends.
My initial thoughts, when I looked into this last week, were positive.  But there is one big negative when compared with BT.  Calls from here to the Republic of Ireland are treated as local calls. So daytime calls are just 3p a minute and evening calls are capped at 5p for an hour.
I contacted CS about this problem and was informed such calls are treated as "International" by Plusnet.
So for us in NI the Plusnet evening and weekend package is not worth considering.
7 REPLIES 7
mike-139
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Phone package for those in Nothern Ireland

Quote from: mike
So for us in NI the Plusnet evening and weekend package is not worth considering.

Unless anyone from Plusnet can offer suggestions?  If BT only charge local rates, why not Plusnet?
LiamM
Grafter

Hmm... I seem to recall this cropping up some time ago and the answer was that Home Phone customers also get calls to Eire treated as 'local'. 
PlusNet will soon confirm or deny!
pcoventry76
Grafter

You could always use 1280 when you want to call that number, 1280 puts you back onto the BT network.
mike-139
Dabbler

Quote from: Pcoventry
You could always use 1280 when you want to call that number, 1280 puts you back onto the BT network.

That crossed my mind as I used to do that very thing when all my calls went through Onetel, but retaining BT as my phone line supplier.  In this case I'd be severing my account totally with BT wouldn't I?  I don't see how BT would bill me once my account has been totally moved to Plusnet.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Hmm, i'm not sure if it could be added to the bill PN give you or not.
I'll PM you as i want to try something
Pete
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: Pcoventry

Not sure if that works if your line rental is elsewhere, though?  As technically you have no contract, nor billing arrangement with BT whatsoever.
pcoventry76
Grafter

i'm pretty sure that Plusnet would bill you depsite jump over on 1280