Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Extra Fibre .... now with calls

irritablegit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Extra Fibre .... now with calls

I have had PN Extra Fibre for over a year and the contract was for 18mos.
The current price is the same as it was ... but it now includes evening and weekend calls.
However, I am not sure I want "free" evening and weekend calls as it could cost me a small fortune.
Currently I have an Orchid box and use 18185 (an override company) for most calls, including international calls, which are a tiny fraction of the Plusnet list price. 
So, I have some questions which helpful members might have some information on ...
a) If I pay my line rental to Plusnet, can I still use 18185 ?
b) Can I readily move my line rental back to BT if I want to at no cost ? 
c) Is the service from PN the equivalent of BT on the phone line front ?
d) Is there any other downside to paying my line rental to PN ?
e) Can I renew my PN Extra Fibre WITHOUT having calls included .... and therefore continuing to pay my line rental to BT ?
I look forward to reading all relevant information, including rants, in due course  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet Extra Fibre .... now with calls

I am not sure I understand all the questions but taking them in order
a) The only reason it includes free evening and weekend calls is because it includes the line rental just like the BT Line rental includes unlimited weekend calls and yes you can use 18185 as you do at present
b) Good question - I don't know given that Plusnet don't offer fibre without phone Yes they do so the answer is YES
c) Yes unless you want Caller Display which costs extra
d) Not as far as I am aware and I have been doing it for some time and if you jump in quick you can get the 12 month in advance option for a cheaper price
e) You wouldn't renew it - just continue as at present but on a 10 day notice period once the the 18 months is up
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: irritablegit
However, I am not sure I want "free" evening and weekend calls as it could cost me a small fortune.
Currently I have an Orchid box and use 18185 (an override company) for most calls, including international calls, which are a tiny fraction of the Plusnet list price. 

It won't cost you anything, it's included in the line rental price, as it is with BT. Just make sure you program your Orchid dialler NOT to use the 18185 prefix for geographic (01, 02 and 03 prefix) calls at weekends and between 7pm and 7am.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Yes - if you have problems with the phone being unusable. BT offer a free diversion to mobile, PN don't and all the compensation you will get is a refund of the rental cost for the number of days it was out of action.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I found the original comment confusing
The current price is the same as it was ... but it now includes evening and weekend calls.

Plusnet line rental has always included evening and weekend calls to 01.02.03 numbers and more recently to 0845, 0870. Call duration (as with BT) is 60 minutes during the inclusive period, so you redial after 59 minutes to avoid subsequent per minute charges.
The downside has been pointed out, so the answer to e) is, you can carry on as you are, as already pointed out. The upside is it's a bit cheaper.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

PN doesn't offer all the options that are available from BT. (e.g. barring calls to mobile phones.) and as OldJim points out PN charges for Caller Display which is free (subject to Ts&Cs) with BT.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim

b) Good question - I don't know given that Plusnet don't offer fibre without phone

Well,Well
I never realized that!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

b) Yes they do offer Fibre without phone, you pay a higher setup fee if you aren't an existing customer. So yes you can move back to BT, you are on 10 days notice for the phone.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I missed that one because I just started on the Fibre Optic Broadband link on the drop menu  Embarrassed
Original reply corrected
AlaricAdair
Champion

Quote from: alanf

... as OldJim points out PN charges for Caller Display which is free (subject to Ts&Cs) with BT.

BT has a sneaky "low usage charge" if you use their caller line identity service on a BT line if you do not make a couple of calls per month (billed by BT) on the outgoing service.  I have a "spare" BT line which I use to deliver my Demon Internet ADSL service and to receive incoming calls only. BT were forever trying to add sneaky service charges on that line, so I've just pared it down to the minimum.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
irritablegit
Rising Star

Thank you for all the replies.  Very useful information
I only have free weekend calls with BT and that works fine for me - I would save perhaps £2 per month if I paid line rental to PN
I have caller display - that would cost £1 more with PN
I already pay line rental annually - but that is £6 per year cheaper with PN
So I might save about £12 per year by paying line rental to PN
But some options not available or cost extra (free divert to mobile if line is down)
.... I will think about it