cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Call Protect

Grafter

Plusnet Call Protect

I have this service active, but am still receiving what I consider to be spam / scam / unwanted calls, so eventually found this on the PN website: 

• Set up Plusnet Call Protect - this free call feature will block nuisance calls from our pre-selected list. You can also add any number you like to your own personal blacklist. You can find out more about it in our call features guide.

There is no information about how to create your own personal blacklist, so I had to call customer service. It transpires that PN internal guides state that I need to wait for a scammer to call me, and then key a few numbers to block future calls. In addition, I was told that PN has no high level "pre-selected list" at all. Seems rather a rather antiquated approach - aside from the misleading information.  

15 REPLIES 15
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Plusnet Call Protect

@430 wrote:

In addition, I was told that PN has no high level "pre-selected list" at all. Seems rather a rather antiquated approach

It looks like you may have been told incorrect info. Reading this post https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/What-does-Plusnet-do-with-blocked-numbers/m-p/1637283/highl... there is a list of numbers that are automatically blocked. 

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Purely a guess, but I suspect the PN Call Protect system will be a clone or adaptation of the BT one which I have, which works in a similar manner as that described.  However I found out a couple of months ago from an announcement made whilst attempting to add another number that my 'Personal Blacklist' was full.  Apparently you can only add 100 numbers so older numbers will need to be manually deleted online.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

The BTsystem allows on line management of their Call Protect whereas the PN version can only be managed via your phone keypad which is an inferior and cumbersome method. Then the PN system is the bargain basement version.

I do not see why PN do not at least add a facility to delete all of your personal list which would be much quicker than doing it individually. All right you may receive some scam calls from a few of the old numbers again but most will have long ceased to be used by scammers. The only way to do that is to remove Call Protect from your account and then reinstate it.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@430 
Spammers are wise to these systems and are constantly changing their spoofed caller number, so you will never win this way.

Get a phone with a built in TrueCall monitoring system. I have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Cordless-Nuisance-Answering-Black/dp/B0787KRDFT/ref=sr_1_1?adgr...

These stop auto diallers getting through to you. I have one of these plus an earlier model for at least 6/7 years without one spam call getting through.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Grafter

I continue to receive suspicious phone calls to my landline. I tried the 1572 route, but according to the recorded menu message, this requires the call to have been answered (which I do not wish to do) and then only forwards it to voicemail anyway, rather than blocking future calls. There is a live ticket on this, but I've tried looking all through the member centre for any updates, and to add my comments, but cannot find any means of reviewing the ticket. Even the last email from PN contained a clickable "review" button which doesn't work. Any ideas how to find my ticket please?

jgb
Champion

@430 

You do not need to answer a call to add the number to the barred list. Admittedly it is the simplest way to add a number and the first option you encounter in the menu. Sometimes, if I suspect the number is a nuisance call but may be genuine (if I am expecting a call from an unknown number or a caller number withheld (e.g the doctor's surgery)) I answer the call but stay silent. If it is computer generated call (often used by scammers to dial several numbers at a time to see who answers)  it will terminate the call after a few seconds of silence. Then you can add the last answered call number to 1572 easily. However there are other options available  - you can add an individual number if you make a note of it and then add it manually following the steps on the menu. You can block all international calls and other such groups. The full list of options re 1572 is attached to this post.

The system does in effect block any number you enter into it- you do not need to try to retrieve any messages left on the 1572 system. However, as callers often spoof their caller ID the system cannot block those constantly changing IDs.

Re your ticket, if you have emails from other earlier non related ticket responses clicking on the link in those will take you to a page where you can navigate to other tickets on your account. I used to have a bookmark to get to that page but it no longer works as Plusnet have made some changes (presumably to try to make life as difficult as possible for customers!?!). Maybe someone else can provide an updated bookmark link?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@430 

Try this link it should get you to any open and closed questions (tickets).

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search 

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi  interested in using PN Call Protect but one question pls

Would I get protection from the generic PN list AND be able to add any numbers I wish as well ....

... or is the choice PN list or my own list ?

cheers bamboozled

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Bamboozled The ability to block your own selection of numbers is there - BUT only numbers where you have actually at least lifted the receiver and connected, you cannot preprogramme numbers.

John
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi thanks for reply

Looks easy but does it come with Plusnet "banned list" already installed and you add your own banned numbers to that ?

On the Table option 4 - 1 says "use recommended list" but option 4 - 2 says "make own list" as though you have to choose one or the other ?

Cheers

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Not 100% sure, @Bamboozled , as although I have the facility, I've rarely had to use it, and not looked into it deeply, but I do know you can certainly add unwanted calls - I have added a couple. I would imagine the 'PN list' is installed by default, but @jgb might be the best person to answer that.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hey @430

Please find further support on how to use our Call Features here:

https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/

=Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jgb
Champion

@jab1 @Bamboozled 

I am no expert in the use of 1572, but I do know that you do not have to lift the receiver to answer a call so that you can add that number. If you follow the table (see my post 7 above) option 4.2.2 gives you the ability to add any number you want. As I said above the simplest way to add a number is via the "last answered call" facility (option 1.1).

As far as I can tell the several options in the table can be used together e.g. you could block all overseas calls (4.3.3) and make your own list (4.2.2 or 1.1).

I should imagine that Plusnet's own list is permanently enabled in the background blocking known scan numbers etc.

Perhaps a Plusnet staffer can add more clarification.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Plusnet Call Protect is not a perfect system of course, but it's a good idea to at least make sure it's configured to maximise the number of potential interceptions:

Make sure the 'use recommended list of known nuisance callers' is turned on - it's much more effective than trying to catch the ever-changing spammer numbers via the 'make own list' option, although you can of course use this if you want to bar calls from a known number.

The menu system is a bit clunky, but as far as I can tell you can have your own list as well as the recommended list operational at the same time.

For good measure I also ban withheld numbers, unrecognised numbers, and all international numbers (with my brother in France added as a VIP exception.)