Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Call Protect

MM263
Hooked

Re: Plusnet Call Protect

Tomp2

Definitely not the only one who is confused and a simple answer would be welcomed. 

From other posts it does seem that 'Withheld Numbers' are known to 1572 but not revealed to the called subscriber.  If this is so an individual calling number can be diverted to the Junk Voicemail box by dialling 1572 immediately after the call is received and choosing option 1. I have done this and voice message from 1572 said that it was a Withheld Number and had been added to the list of diverted numbers. 

How well it works is another matter and there is however a strong possibility that the same nuisance callers are using a more than one number.

All Withheld Numbers can also be diverted as a category (Option 4 Personal Options/Option 3 Divert by Call Type/Option 2 Withheld Numbers) but that might mean that some useful and important calls might be lost.

There is also another category of 'Unrecognised or Unavailable Numbers' which I presume means that even 1572 doesn't know what they are.  These can be diverted to the Junk Voicemail box as a category but presumably not individually.

This service is potentially very useful but hampered by the lack of clear detailed instructions and a flow chart.

seadog
Hooked

I had an unavailable call this evening, I immediately dialled 1572 and pressed 1, but it then said I could not block these calls. What is the point of that? Nearly every spam call I get is marked as unavailable and I can't block them using this service! I think it needs an urgent review.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you dial 1572 and go through the menu using option 4, you have the ability to divert specific types of calls to the junk mailbox:

https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/

Choose to divert specific types of numbers to junk voicemail, such as international numbers, withheld numbers and unavailable numbers Additional features

Unfortunately as the number for the calls isn't known, you can't block these individually.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
seadog
Hooked

That does seem to have fixed my problem. I went 1572 - 4 - 3 - 4, and that should block unavailable numbers (I hope!). It would be good if that option was clearly set out in the user guide. It would be even better if those options were available online, it is not clear at the end of the call exactly which numbers are barred (e.g. we cannot bar withheld as the surgery calls back using that).

Biscayne
Hooked

I would just like to add my vote for a web based interface for Call Protect, the handset interface is just too ‘clunky’ to manage easily.

After 2 consecutive inflation busting price increases, justified “so we can continue to offer our award-winning service”, is it too much to ask for?

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@MM263 Just had a spam withheld and 1572 +1 let me divert it. Concerned it may have blocked all withheld calls but time will tell. 

MM263
Hooked

@PhyllisTyne

Based on my experience you will only have diverted that number.

Since diverting my first Withheld Number nuisance call  I have received two calls from Withheld Numbers.  One was a nuisance call from a different number (now diverted) and one a legitimate caller, so I have definitely not diverted the whole category.  My concern is that there are many other Withheld Number nuisance callers out there!

I have diverted all Unrecognised/Unavailable Numbers and all International Calls which I think were the origin of most nuisance calls.

I have added to the VIP list the International numbers that might call me including any UK registered mobile phones of friends and families that might be taken abroad.  The format for this is that 07732xxxxxx would be input by dropping the first '0' and prefixing with 0044 ie as 00447732xxxxxx.

The instructions need to be clearer on exactly what the different categories mean.  There also needs to be a web interface to make it easier to input changes especially to the VIP list.

neilamartin
Dabbler

This service is a great idea. I've had it switched on and it's blocking witheld numbers as well as a couple of nuisance callers. But I'm still getting regular SPAM calls from "unrecognised number(s)" that "cannot be diverted".  So, erm, what's the point?!

Or, to put it another way, please can we have a switch to set up divert for unrecognised numbers?

Ta 🙂

MM263
Hooked

@neilamartin

You should be able to set up a divert in Personal Option/Divert by Call Type/Unrecognised Numbers (1572 4 3 4) but it's all or nothing.  As I understand it, 1572 cannot divert individual numbers because it doesn't know what they are, unlike Withheld Numbers which it knows but does not pass on.

neilamartin
Dabbler

Thanks very much @MM263. Obviously I'd missed that option! But it's exactly what I wanted.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hence the continued need for a flowchart of options until/if we get a web-based interface.

Any progress on that PN?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@PhyllisTyne wrote:

Any progress on that PN?

I'm afraid I don't have any information on updates/changes to Plusnet Call Protect, however I'll pass feedback on.

Considering we've only very recently introduced this call feature, there may well still be room for improvement to how it's handled.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MM263
Hooked

@PhyllisTyne

This is my own attempt at a table which I think contains most features but not all the options.  Hope this helps.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Cheers @MM263

I'm sure people will find this useful.

trevbrierley

Is there no online process for managing Call Protect?