Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Call Protect

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Plusnet Call Protect

@PhyllisTyne with the product active we will block (as in you'll never know they called) calls from numbers on our own nuisance caller list. This list will be updated over time and should limit the amount of nuisance calls you receive. These are the only call type that we will block, all others will be avoided giving them the opportunity to leave a message in your junk mail box.

In addition you can create your own personal list of up to 100 individual nuisance numbers that you can select and maintain, you do this by dialling 1572 and following the options there. These numbers will not be blocked, just avoided and messages will be stored in your junk mail box.

If you wanted to avoid calls from international numbers or calls from withheld numbers you can, this will need to be turned on separately and includes the flexibility for you to make exclusions for example if you choose to avoid international numbers you can set it up so that your family abroad can still reach you.

Hope that answers your questions

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@maranello wrote:

@JonoH wrote:

There's no need to have Caller Display active for this to work @maranello

I'm surprised by this, I would have expected CLI would need to be active for the Call Protect feature to be able to block specified numbers. But I readily admit I know nothing about the technology

Although you won't see it unless subscribed to Caller Display, the Calling Line Identity is always present at the exchange, which is where Call Protect is applied.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm still not sure how this works. Can you confirm that if enabled only numbers on your list will be blocked and no other calls will be effected, including number withheld and international calls unless I decide to change the settings. In other words all calls will be sent to my phone as normal except numbers on your list?

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

OK, having spent quite a long time looking at how this works I have decided to give it a try and turned it on. I was talking to my son last night who works as a Carer. He said that unwanted calls are a major problem with the elderly and infirm in his care who are living alone and rely on the landline to summon help, keep in touch with their family and their professional Carers. He said that often when their phone rings it is a struggle for them to answer it but they assume it is urgent and often risk injuring themselves to do so. They are then often confused by someone telling them about an accident and this can cause great distress and even risk them suffering a medical incident. If this works it is long overdue!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

I wouldn't get too excited.  I enabled it last night and I've still had 7 SPAM calls today that it failed to block.

Can someone confirm how this works and where BT/PlusNet get their call list from ?  Everyone who has called me today can be confirmed as SPAM if I type the numbers into http://whocallsme.com/.  Can I suggest that you arrange to take a regular feed from some of these call verification web sites as this sort of blacklisting based solution can only be effective if you crowd source enough numbers.

My current blocking solution which I have been using for years (https://www.liquidstate.net/blocking-silent-and-nuisance-calls-with-an-obi110-raspbx-asterisk-pbx/) blocks everything and works on the following logic:

1.  If you are on my whitelist then the phone rings straight through.

2.  If you aren't on the whitelist you are asked to 'press 1' to confirm that you are a valid caller.  Then the phone rings.

Since using this solution 3 years ago I have managed to get a 100% success rate in blocking 10-15 SPAM calls each day.  Although it is obviously more of a pain for people calling can I suggest that point 2 above is implemented as maybe an option to improve the blocking rate further ?

anthgood
Grafter

I am so pleased Plusnet have added this feature as this is something I have been begging for as I am sick of spam callers.

Can I ask. The equivalent feature for BT says

"You can manage your settings and personal blacklist at bt.com/btcallprotect where you log in using your BT ID, alternatively you can dial 1572 free from your home phone."

Is there a URL for Plusnet or any plans to add one as I am not a fan of doing this by dialing 1572 I would rather visually do it?

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

@anthgood This would be a helpful feature, particularly if one is maintaining either one's own list of exclusions or a VIP list. However, I suspect that we are not going to get it at all soon.

I would just add one other thought to this thread: that it is very difficult to find information about Call Protect on the PlusNet site;  I think that PlusNet need to make the information more accessible.

Of course, it may just be me but, although I knew that the feature existed, I had to use Google after I failed to find a route by clicking through hyperlinks.

keithsloan52
Hooked

Does not work for me.

Turn on the option to block/divert calls with no number.
Get a nuisance call - after call dial 1572 and press 1, says number withheld and cannot block/divert.

Called Plusnet 0800 support and the guy there did not seem to even know what Call protect was.
After he put me on hold for quite a while came back and said he has disabled it and I should wait 24 hours before retrying. Not convinced and Not impressed.

anthgood
Grafter

"Turn on the option to block/divert calls with no number.
Get a nuisance call - after call dial 1572 and press 1, says number withheld and cannot block/divert."

Withheld is different and treated separate to "no number". When it says no number it means ones that display as "unavailable" to block Withheld numbers.

If you want to block withheld there should be a separate option to the "no number" option turn that on too.

June1
Dabbler

Do I have to have Plusnet voicemail activated to use Call Protect ? I currently don't use it as it overrides my own answerphone. Thanks in advance

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@June1  No, it's not necessary.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It would be really helpful to have a flowchart of the menu options available when you dial 1572 so you know where to go to enable / disable particular functions.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I can see how that would be helpful, thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tomp2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I very much agree about the need for a flowchart. It should also make it very clear which services are available free and which are premium additions.

Am I the only one who is STILL confused about some aspects of Call Protect. I have a simple need. I get one particular "number withheld" Spam robo-call which the Office of the Information Commissioner admits (in a message to me this week) they are unable to tackle. It's that one that offers the "Windows Update" service. I get this at all times of day and night. Galling, because I'm a Mac user, but really irritating because I have an elderly parent who is very ill, and can get calls about that at any time of day. Otherwise, I'd just put my land line to the answerphone.

So, can I block a specific "number withheld" call, and do so for free? Simple question. A simple answer please. Thanks.

Tom

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29