Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Call Protect

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Plusnet Call Protect

Can this be used to blanket block international and withheld numbers, etc or can it only be used on a per number basis?

79 REPLIES 79
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet Call Protect

Apparently you can https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/plusnet-call-protect

Not intending to hijack the thread, but it would also be useful to know if it is necessary to have Caller Display enabled for the Call protect feature to work.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

If i enable it will it mean i no longer get witheld calls ? When my work contacts me it shows up as withheld because of the type of place i work.

It sure sounds a good idea i just hope it dont affect the withheld calls i rely on.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Maranello, missed that. I am pretty sure you must have to have CLI activated.

So is it a case of just dialling 1572 after my first international call and blocking it or is there any kind of web interface where I can set what to block?

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@maranello wrote:

it would also be useful to know if it is necessary to have Caller Display enabled for the Call protect feature to work.

There's no need to have Caller Display active for this to work @maranello

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

@St3 I think withheld will be the only problem as some legitimate callers such as hospitals etc use it. this is where a handset suct as BT8600 is a better bet.

St3
Aspiring Champion

@JonoH morning Wink 

If i have this enabled on my phoneline will it prevent me from getting calls from the police or hospitals... doctors etc as these calls often show up as "witheld" and this could affect someones job or even life. Huh 

There is nothing here https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/plusnet-call-protect to say if it blocks calls from emergency services.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@JonoH wrote:

There's no need to have Caller Display active for this to work @maranello

I'm surprised by this, I would have expected CLI would need to be active for the Call Protect feature to be able to block specified numbers. But I readily admit I know nothing about the technology

My other car isn't a Ferrari
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Have you selected to block withheld numbers or does it do this automatically? I would not want them blocked. most of my withhelds are legitimate.

St3
Aspiring Champion

I enabled it yesterday but now after reading the guidelines which i should have done anyways........ ive just removed it just incase.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

you mean you enabled call protect or you asked call protect to block withheld numbers. I would not want them blocked automatically just because I have enabled call protect.

St3
Aspiring Champion

enabled call protect but now i removed it just in case it blocks the withheld calls i get from work.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@St3 wrote:

If i have this enabled on my phoneline will it prevent me from getting calls from the police or hospitals... doctors etc as these calls often show up as "witheld" and this could affect someones job or even life. Huh

Hi @St3

If a number is on our regularly updated list of know nuisance callers it will automatically be blocked, if you choose to you can divert other numbers (such as withheld or international numbers to your junk voicemail box.

As long as you check your junk voicemail you shouldn't miss any important calls and for those with withheld numbers dialling 1470 before the number you're trying to reach will reveal the number on that call.

I'd also like to make sure people with this facility turned on are aware that if you have a message in your junk mailbox, you will not be given the audio prompt to check it (the interrupted dial tone).

Hope this helps.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

@JonoH so blocking withheld and international calls is optional and not a default when activating call protect? Are they activated as per and specific number - i.e by dialling 1572 after receiving one?

St3
Aspiring Champion

i just about to ask the same question @PhyllisTyne