cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet and SMS

andypn

PlusNet and SMS

Just got my PN phone line today and am looking at differences from BT.
My answer machine does in and out SMS. So when someone leaves me a message the answer machine sends SMS to mobile (or used to). BT gave me 200 free outgoing texts per months in my normal broadband package. From what I can see PN don't support outgoing SMS. I have had a look around but cannot see any way to get a service that would provide this.
Anyone on PN had any experience with this?
Ta, Andy.
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: PlusNet and SMS

AFAIK Plusnet does support SMS but this requires the caller display 'call feature' in order to work.  Charges are 10p per message:
https://portal.plus.net/home-broadband/tariffs/
near the bottom of  'Fixed Fee call rates', with the description 'Text Message'
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
andypn

Thanks for the reply.
I was talking to PN Customer Service just now about this and they said they did not have a facility to send SMS from the land line. Having seen your reply I might ask them what the fixed charge means as it does imply that I can send SMS. I have not see any mention of an SMSC rumber for PN, I know I used to use 08005875290 for the incoming SMS on BT but have since lost the outgoing number.
Thanks, Andy.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

As I understand it, the SMS service is provided as standard by BTWholesale. You might find this useful https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/document/Support/FAQ/Voice/Wholesale-FLT-FAQs-v2.pdf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My home phone supports error message texting.
I performed one test text which activated my BT texting service and cost 10p.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
andypn

@MisterW
Thanks for the link. These were the numbers I had in my answer machine originally but since occidentally doing a master reset (whilst cleaning it!) I had lost them. Thanks for that.
It is now all working as before. I just assumed that after quitting BT I would not be able to use the service. Hmmm, shame about the 10p cost as I used to get 200 texts free with BT.
Thanks for the replies, Andy.