Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help. Need to keep my number

FIXED
Gscriv

Please help. Need to keep my number

Hi

I signed up this evening to broadband and have just received and email giving me a new phone number. I have my existing number for 30 years with BT so I really need to keep this number. Can anyone help please?

14 REPLIES 14
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Please help. Need to keep my number

Hi @Gscriv,

Welcome to the forums, despite it not being under ideal circumstances. 

So I can fix this issue for you would you be able to private message me the telephone number that you require to keep. I ask because I can't see a record of it on the account, which generally means either the signup journey didn't capture it, or it wasn't provided. 

Once I have the number confirmed I'll have to cancel the orders that are in place (with the incorrect number) and then replace them. It will mean a day added on to the lead time - and as this is a transfer we're unable to get this brought forward, but it should resolve the matter for you. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fix

Hi @Gscriv,

Thanks for the PM with the information. I've now placed the correct orders and created this ticket on your account which I'll monitor personally for you. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns either by updating this post or the ticket. 

Thanks.

tup77

I have this same issue.  Have recently changed from Virgin to PlusNet and was told they would attempt to keep my number.  Broadband activated and phone line provided with new phone number but nothing about what is happening (if anything) with my old phone number.  I spoke to Virgin and they advised me that PlusNet had not told them I was switching.

Spent 20 mins on hold to customer services yesterday and now currently on hold for 30 minutes with no-one available online.  Come on Plusnet; I thought good customer service was your selling point!

Please help!!

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @tup77,

So I can resolve your issue can you PM me the Virgin number, please?

Thanks.

Gscriv

Thanks jolo 👍👍

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Gscriv,

No worries! We're not out of the woods just yet until we get the order completed, but I'll keep you updated. 

@tup77,

Thanks for the PM. I've placed the renumber order to change the line number we provided to the old Virgin number. This is done via an import request because it's a provider on a different network and I will warn you that these can sometimes have higher failure rates than BT network to BT network providers and the minimum lead time is 10 working days for them to complete but it can take longer.

I'll keep an eye on it via this ticket for you.

tup77

Thanks Jolo.  I appreciate that it can sometimes not work but just a bit frustrated that it appeared no-one had even tried!

Fingers crossed it gets transferred ok though and I'll wait for an update.

Cheers

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@tup77,

I can completely understand the frustration. I've just had confirmation the request to take the number has been sent to Virgin so we're just waiting for them to accept. It's an automated process so you don't need to do anything - unless the refuse the request, and if that happens I'll let you know so you can chase them again. Hopefully it all goes smoothly now, gets accepted and completes. 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@tup77, I've updated the ticket on your account with the committed completion date to get your Virgin number back. 

@Gscriv I've updated your ticket confirming the completion date too. 

Let me know if either of you have any issues.

Gscriv

Thanks Jolo

tup77

Thanks Jolo.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@tup77, just confirm your old number is back with you as of today. Can you please check is shows correctly (by dialing a mobile from the landline), any issues please let me know. 

travelerjohn
Dabbler

Can I butt in here? Sorry if it is incorrect . In the absence of an email to customer service  am forced to come here. The telephone service to answer my question was Soooo slow in answering  and I hate using it anyway. I went on Chat to ask about retaining my telephone number after remembering that the application form for a switch to PlusNet from my present company Talk Talk said the number might be changed.. I am due to change over on Tuesday 20th November so was in a panic to check that I could retain the number. I  got a number to call which my chat person said was the "Provisioning Team" . When I finally got through it was the accounts dept. but the guy named Waqas kindly did check for me and assured me that he had flagged up my request and I would retain my number. However. I still don't have that in writing. Can you check and confirm this for me?. It appears I have to "private Message" you my phone number. Please confirm that (although it IS on my application and Waqas did have it.. 

Is there actually an email for customer service? 

Finally. I think it is very poor that the default position for application is NOT that the present number is retained. Why would you not want to keep it? Even so there was no question that I could see on the application form to ask if I wished to retain it. PLEASE reply before next Tuesday.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@travelerjohn Sorry to hear about the issues you've had.

I've raised a ticket on your account confirming this which you can view here

Let us know if you have any further questions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team