Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help, I need to keep my phone number

FIXED
eeyoreworld
Hooked

Please help, I need to keep my phone number

Hi

I signed up this evening to broadband and have just received and email to say I can't keep my phone number.  I know I can ring regarding this tomorrow however, I'm really panicking as I have very elderly parents who wouldn't cope with this.  I will have to cancel the order.  I'm not moving house and I have had my telephone number for over 20 years, it is an original BT exchange number, broadband supplier is currently Talktalk.

I have done a little internet research and ofcom are clear in that if you are not moving house, a new provider MUST keep your current number, (see below) .I'm at a loss as to why on earth this could have happened, can anyone help? I really really don't want to stay with talktalk but will have to if plusnet are insisting on me changing my number.

Below is the information from ofcom:-

Are there any exceptions where I can't keep my number?

If you are staying in the same house, then no. Ofcom, the telecoms regulator, is crystal clear on the subject, stating outright that if in the same residence, your old provider must allow the number to be transferred to your new service.

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Please help, I need to keep my phone number

Who is the current provider?

There can be issues depending on who owned the original number, and if you have moved at any time since it was originally issued.

That said, if none of that applies, then it may just be someone trying to take a few shortcuts.

I have tagged one of the helpful members of staff who frequent these parts @Gandalf who may be able to help with more detailed information.

eeyoreworld
Hooked

Thanks for your response.

The current supplier is Talktalk and we were originally with BT.  We moved house three years ago and kept the number as we moved to almost the same post code. I'm not in a hurry to get the new broadband set up, if it's going to take longer to keep the number then I'm happy to wait, as I have said, changing is not an option.  We would have to cancel and stay but I really don't understand as ofcom are really clear and I'm not moving house?  Hopefully the helpful staff member you mention will be able to help.  We moved our mobile numbers from Talktalk to plusnet a few months ago and we were really happy with the customer support so moving the bb and landline to plusnet was a no brainer!

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Were you with Talk Talk or BT when you moved?

It is possible when you moved you moved to an area that was served by a different BT exchange, but Talk Talk use their own equipment, so allowed you to keep your number.

eeyoreworld
Hooked

Hi

We were with talktalk when we moved but we literally moved to the next street.  We live in a small town, which to my knowledge, is all handled by the same exchange.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

In which case you should be OK. Hopefully you have not cancelled your Talk Talk line, and have asked PlusNet to transfer your line, and they should be able to do everything for you.

However, do get in touch with PN, of Gandalf misses my tag, it may be he is not in the office for a day or two.

eeyoreworld
Hooked

Thanks very much for your help, I'll give them a ring in the morning when I get chance, I'm hoping so, I really can't bear the thought of another month with talktalk let alone forever! Sad

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

Apologies for the delayed response.

I can see you've spoken with us this morning and we're going to replace the orders.

We'll update you on the progress shortly/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
eeyoreworld
Hooked

Yes it seems there was a simple error in the telephone number input which meant the number was incorrect, hopefully it's all sorted now, a big thumbs up to the customer support and service so far, after our experience with some other providers, it really is a breath of fresh air.  Thank you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I've just checked your order and I can confirm that your services along with your number are due to transfer to us on the 12th. Hope everything goes smoothly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
eeyoreworld
Hooked

Thank you, I'm sure it will, very glad it's sorted out Grin

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @eeyoreworld

Please get in touch if you need any further assistance. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team