cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone stopped working

jespell
Hooked

Phone stopped working

Phone doesn't work. Line tested - noting that there is a problem and advised to ring 0800 432 0200 - recorded message saying Plusnet doing all they can to help the vulnerable and rang off.

Tried the 'Active Chat' (with a bot). It didn't help me to discuss about my problem, but it did accept a typed message from me. I explained everything and asked for a transcript of the complete exchange - which was emailed to me, but there was no mention of my last message to them.

I am 73 years old and I seem to have exhausted all means of getting help from Plusnet.

Any suggestions from others would be extremely welcome 

10 REPLIES 10
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Phone stopped working

Hi @jespell, thank you for your time on the phone this evening.

As discussed, I have sent you an email with the checks. Please reply back to this thread once you've done the checks so I can go ahead and progress the fault for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @jespell,

I finish my shift now at 9pm however do still reply to this thread and I will give you a call back tomorrow morning to discuss how the checks went.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jespell
Hooked

Hi Beyhive,

Thank you very much for responding to my plea for help!

I watched your video explaining how to test the line, but I am afraid I do not have a cordless telephone, so I could not follow the instructions.

However, I do know that the line is working as the telephone rings with incoming calls - but there is nothing there when I pick up. Neither can I ring out. Also, I have fibre broadband which continues to work.

Does this point to a fault in my cordless handsets (BT) ?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Jeremy.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're more than welcome @jespell,

Did you manage to plug the existing telephone handset to the test socket as shown on the video to see if it has made a difference? As this can be done using either a corded or a cordless handset.

In terms if the existing handset, we would not really know if it is faulty unless you try a different handset (corded or cordless), or you could ask a neighbour or a relative for example if they could test your handset at their property to see if it works (not ideal currently with isolation guidelines).

You could still have a phone fault and your broadband continues to work fine. The checks are there to make sure nothing within your property is causing the fault to avoid the possible £65.00 engineer charge (it is only a possibility and not guaranteed) but you can only do so much and we can still proceed with an engineer visit if you would like us to go ahead if you can't do all the checks.

Let me know how you would like to proceed please.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jespell
Hooked

Hi,

No I did not try a test socket as mine is a double one with separate sockets for broadband and 'phone, which I understand should not be opened. Is that correct ?

Also, my handsets still record the telephone numbers ringing in even though I can't hear anything !

I'm afraid I can't get my hands on a cordless 'phone at the moment.

Are there any more tests which I could carry out ?

jespell
Hooked

I have tried plugging into the test socket and still no dialling tone.

Strangely, when I unplug the handset it shows a message that there is a cord fault and please check !

jespell
Hooked

Also, i have tried ringing my mobile from the handset. Whilst my mobile rings I cannot get through i.e. I can't hear anything on my mobile.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Lovely speaking to you this morning @jespell 

As discussed I have sent you an email with the engineer appointment information.

Let us know how things go please.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jespell
Hooked

We look forward to the engineer's visit on Friday and to getting the problem sorted out.

I am very grateful for all your help so far - many thanks.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's my pleasure @jespell,

Have a lovely day and stay safe.

Faris
 Plusnet Help Team